Sweetening Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use DaVinci Gourmet Strup for sweetening their wine? It is sugar free and they use Splenda. The place I buy my juice at said it will not start a fermentation process over again. This is what they use. Any comments would be appreciated. Also picked up six gallons of Rhubarb Juice. I will be starting this tomorrow for the first time. Any suggestions?

Ive always heard that artificial sweeteners will leave an artificial taste in your wine or become unstable over time. I use sweet n low for my coffee and can taste the difference so would not use it in my wines. I only use it in my coffee to keep my weight down as i have a slow metabolism.

I would not use artificial sweeteners. Why ruin a good wine. However, next time you need to try just 1 gallon this way and the rest with real sugar. Remember, it's to YOUR taste. I tend to agree with wade it can leave a strange taste like cough medicine.

Ok now Im bumbed
smiley19.gif
And my daughter said the same thing about splenda in anything else. I thought I hit on something good with this flavored syrup and it was the juice supplier that sells and recommends it for this purpose. BUT..I am relieved I asked you guys first before using it, thanks
smiley20.gif
. I remember reading a post a while back about making a simple syrup, I think it was two cups of sugar to one cup of water. Add sugar to boiling water and bring back to a boil then let cool. Is this correct or do you have another recommendation? We like off dry, more towards the sweet side. Exactly what else do I add to prevent fermentation?

Simple sugar is what you said. Bring water to a boil add sugar stir till clear = done. Add this to your taste before bottling.

Make sure BEFORE adding simple syrup that you added enough SORBATE to prevent a fizzy wine and or corks shooting out.

Do I add potassium sorbate and Potassium Metabisulfite or just the sorbate? if so how much for 5-6 gallons? Is there any order to which I add them before the simple syrup. This is the first time I have ventured away from the kits. I have four different batches I will be bottleing in the next month. Thank you for all the information.

Depends on when you added k-meta... you add1/4tsp for 6 gallons every 3 months. Add k-meta Sorbate in that order. Sorbate is 1/2tsp per gallon. Both you should dissolve in wine or water before adding to the carboy. Also make sure its degassed and cleared before adding simple syrup.

Thanks..think I got it. After assuring wine is clear and degassed first, add 1/4 tsp of Metabisulfite then add 1/2tsp per gallon of Sorbate (dissolved in wine or water first). Then add simple syrup to taste. You guys are the best. Wish you were near by to share my wine.

Where you from? WE may be knocking on your door!
smiley36.gif
Have no idea where Edinboro, Pa Is

Latest posts

Back