RJ Spagnols Super Tuscan en primeur vs winery series

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knockabout

Reaction score
Well, there was a great thread going when I started making kits about folks favorite kits. The rj spangols winery series super Tuscan was mentioned over and over so we decided we couldn't go wrong. We loved this kit and still do but 18mos later we only have 6 bottles left and need to get busy on another. For those of you who have done both the en primeur and winery series super Tuscans can you describe the differences in taste? Is the en primeur worth the few extra dollars?
Thanks!

I have not done the en primeur, but I will do the winery series super Tuscan again.

The EP I think may need more time to come around.
@BoatBoy24 has made both and may have a good feedback for you.

Oh wai, I think Jim made the EP Amarone, not the Super Tuscan....

Last edited:
I have the EP three months into bulk aging, I have the WS bubbling away in primary. I'll get back to you in a year or so after they're both bottled.

The EP I think may need more time to come around.
@BoatBoy24 has made both and may have a good feedback for you.

Oh wai, I think Jim made the EP Amarone, not the Super Tuscan....

That's correct. I've done the Amarone and the Pinot Noir. Pinot is almost 18 months and I still haven't bottled it. I've read it takes about that long to start coming around and as of two months ago, mine hadn't yet. The Amarone is about the same age and is very good, but young.

I really, really like the WS Super Tuscan. Mine is almost 24 months old and I'm down to about 8 bottles. I just ordered another on Thursday.

En Primeur Super Tuscan discontinued?

I made a batch En Primeur Super Tuscan last October and bottled it in April. Tonight we opened a couple of bottles with friends over for dinner and it is already a terrific wine. My wife was so impressed she asked me to do another batch immediately as we only have 22 bottles left.

I went to the RJS website just now and apparently the En Primeur Super Tuscan has been discontinued as I got a 404 error on its previous product web page and several vendor websites I visited had it marked as either out of stock or discontinued.

It seems crazy for RJS to discontinue what appears to be one of their most highly regarded products so there is probably a story behind the decision but is in any case very disappointing.

Off of what Geek said I'd stick with the WS ST. Why? At 71 years of age today I don't want to wait a whole lot of time for a batch of wine to come around.
smilie.gif

BTW, Super Tuscan WS was my favorite kit (or was it the WS Cab. Sav.?) until I did an RJS WS Amarone.

Last edited:
I have one on order from FVW, checked the site just now and it is still in stock if the other folks can't locate one for you.

I am looking for the En Primeur Super Tuscan. The FVW En Primeur page does not show any Super Tuscan. Would you mind posting a link to that product page at FVW or describe how you found it?

Last edited:
My LHBS said that RJS was dropping the En Primeur line and merging some of the products with the winery series. An example will be Winery Series Shiraz En Primeur Profile. They will also be increasing the number of whites available for WS.

cheers

Lol, I actually ordered one from them this morning since their website says they are in stock. A couple of hours later I get an email from them saying they don't actually have any in stock. They are going to try and locate one but I am not holding my breath.

FWIW, curdsandwine.com sent me an email today cancelling my order. The search for the last remaining stock of En Primeur Super Tuscan continues but it is looking bleak.

I went ahead and ordered the Winery Series Super Tuscan but if an En Primeur turns up I'm grabbing it too because it is that good.

I called both places just now and neither actually have En Primeur Super Tuscan in stock. I don't think some of these small business websites actually match their website product offerings to their inventory. The lady who answered at design2brew was apologetic and said she'd update her page today when I told her it had been discontinued. The guy who answered at the other place, which had a horrible phone connection, just said we don't have it.

Last edited:
Back