super tart

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joemcc

Junior
Reaction score
I finaly got my cab sauv grape fermented and pressed and its in secondary stage now but its very tart is this normal it was pretty low brix when I started about 23.5

Low brix can indicate unripe grapes which will give you a high acidity.

Winter season coming up.
I suggest cold stabilising.

Tartaric acid will drop out as crystals, rack from the crystals and your wine will be lower in acidity.

Luc

It is most likely one of two things.

If you are using fresh grapes, there could have bee a lot of "second growth" clusters in the mix. This will result in an almost "Pepper" or "Grapefruit" taste that is not exactly related to you level of PH.

It could also mean that you wine is too acidic. I would perform an acid test to find out.

Could you provide more info? What variety is it? Kit? Fresh Juice? Whole Grapes?

It is most likely one of two things.

If you are using fresh grapes, there could have bee a lot of "second growth" clusters in the mix. This will result in an almost "Pepper" or "Grapefruit" taste that is not exactly related to you level of PH.

It could also mean that you wine is too acidic. I would perform an acid test to find out.

Could you provide more info? What variety is it? Kit? Fresh Juice? Whole Grapes?
These are cab sauv grapes from wasington state we had a ruff harvest. I have an acid test kit but I wasn't sure if it would work on red wine

These are cab sauv grapes from wasington state we had a ruff harvest. I have an acid test kit but I wasn't sure if it would work on red wine

sure does. If it is the 3ml test kit (draw only 3 ml of a sample), then combine you sample with 3ml of distilled water to thin the color out.

sure does. If it is the 3ml test kit (draw only 3 ml of a sample), then combine you sample with 3ml of distilled water to thin the color out.

Will this method work for the ph strips too?

Back