Super Kleer vs. Sparkolloid for SP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No it doesn't have to be clear... and sweeten to what you like. Pour some in a glass, sweeten and taste to where you want it, test the sg... then do the rest to that sg.

Clarity is just a matter of preference on SP.... most of us like it clear, but if you don't care...... ;)

I've never used a clearing agent for my wines, but decided to try Super-Kleer on my first batch of SP. I didn't realize the problem until I returned home... "Allergy Alert: Chitosan is a Shellfish Derivative." My girlfriend is deathly allergic to shellfish. Skin contact or ingestion can be a fatal ordeal.

Pretty scary considering how many people use Super-Kleer in wine & beer making.

Are any other fining agents shellfish derivatives? I picked up some Sparkolloid, but wasn't sure if it was also derived from shellfish.

Trapperman

Finally, three weeks after bottling my SP is slearing. Not sure if you can tell from the photo, but there is a fine layer of sediment on the bottom. I guess I was just too impatient. Overall everthing with this batch took longer, one-month to ferment dry and two-months to clear, but it sure taste good and is going fast! My next batch is already in the fermenter and going strong, hopefully this one will finish quicker because this one isn't going to last that long!

Thanks Lon!!

sp.JPG

Latest posts

Back