First timer SP questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously none of this is ideal, and if I'd known then I wouldn't have risked it
Don't worry about it -- you're fine. A sorbate vendor stated the product is good for 12 months, longer if properly stored, although the fact sheet didn't describe that. From other research, I discovered that is needs to be kept away from air and light, at a stable temperature.

I keep the packets for 12-13 months after purchase, which allows for the kit vendor's manufacturing timeline, and sitting on the shelf in the LHBS, etc.

Don't worry about it -- you're fine. A sorbate vendor stated the product is good for 12 months, longer if properly stored, although the fact sheet didn't describe that. From other research, I discovered that is needs to be kept away from air and light, at a stable temperature.

I keep the packets for 12-13 months after purchase, which allows for the kit vendor's manufacturing timeline, and sitting on the shelf in the LHBS, etc.
yes i keep all my chemicals in a ammo box, no oxygen, no light, including my yeast,,,
Dawg

Thanks @winemaker81 , @hounddawg - makes me feel a whole lot better!

I've now got to be patient as it goes through clearing, something I really struggle with! I'm used to the wine kits clearing perfectly in 36 hours, so this will be a real test!! 😂

It's been 48 hours so far, and I can see evidence that it is clearing as I can see sediment now clinging to the side of the carboy, but no real difference in colour or cloudiness. But I know it's early days, hopefully I'll see more progress by early next week.

Last edited:
I've now got to be patient as it goes through clearing, something I really struggle with!
Patience is the hardest thing to learn. My FWK Chardonnay cleared rather slowly -- I'm used to kieselsol/chitosan working like a chalkboard eraser, almost instantly working. After a few days I forced myself to not look at the carboy, and a week later it was clear.

Patience is the hardest thing to learn. My FWK Chardonnay cleared rather slowly -- I'm used to kieselsol/chitosan working like a chalkboard eraser, almost instantly working. After a few days I forced myself to not look at the carboy, and a week later it was clear.
coming from @winemaker81 i find funny, lol
but each of us has a pev
Dawg,

I've now got to be patient as it goes through clearing, something I really struggle with! I'm used to the wine kits clearing perfectly in 36 hours, so this will be a real test!! 😂

I'm with Bryan. The way I solve that patience thing is I do something with the wine, like clear or add tannin or almost anything, give it a good stir. Walk away and don't look at it for a week or maybe two. It's almost always clear by then, if it's going to clear. It's not patience it's procrastination. The best thing you can do for most things in winemaking. (I might go so far as to say for anything, except bad odors, gotta deal with those quickly).

Back