Super-Kleer KC

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pkcook said:
I think Dean may be on to something here. The mead was crystal clear before I sweetened it with honey. That was when I got the haze. Two questions: 1) Can honey cause a pectin haze? and 2) Will Super-kleer clean up a protein haze?

There is no pectin in honey. Pectin is found in fruit and vegetables and is where molecules of a sugar group are bound with a non sugar group and are derived from the cell walls of plants.

Good raw unprocessed honey contains plenty of solids like small particles of wax, pollen grains and even the bee itself.

I have read that Sparkalloid works well for clearing mead but I do think the Super Kleer with take care of it since it covers the positive and negative charged particles.

I have a few batches of mead that I back sweetened with honey and are cloudly so when pkcook works his out then I will know what works the best!
smiley4.gif

Just added about 1/5th of the Super-kleer packets. After 20 minutes, I'm seeing about 1/2 inch sediment on the bottom of the two jugs. Still kinda murky though! Will keep you posted on this one.

This morning the mead is almost completely clear! WOW! That was fast. I've got to get a battery for my camera today and will post a few photos this evening.

Awesome...!!! I need to get some myself to clear up my back sweetened meads that are not clearing on thier own.

I recently read that RJS was going to start adding a version of the Super Kleer to all thier kits since it works so well.

I told you this stuff works great. Usually it works in about 8 hours.
The only batch that took longer was my spiced apple. That mud took
about 36 hours but is brilliant now.

Here is a shot of the Mead after the Super-kleer addition. I only wish I had taken a before photo to show the comparison, but you can see the magnified bolt heads from the rack behind the large jug.

20061028_183849_Mead_1.jpg

Here is a different angle showing the sediment after the addition. You can clearly make out the wooden rack and bottles behind.
20061028_184123_Mead_2.jpg

I got happy with the camera and decided to show some photos of the cabinet of carboys and jugs I have going.

20061028_184302_Cab_All.jpg

Pictured here in front from left to right is Peach Port .750, Peach Port 4L, Joe M's Ancient Orange 3L, (behind the center post) Red Plum 4L, In the Back from Left is Red Raspberry 6 gallon, Cherry Melomel 4L, Concord w/oak 3 gallon.
20061028_184445_Cab_Lt.jpg

Pictured here from left to right starting with the golden color one is Niagara w/oak 4L, Red Plum 1.5L, Jalapeno .750L, Jalapeno 4L, In the back are 2 each (one seen in previous photo) Concord w/oak, and last is Pinot Gregio 6 gallon.
20061028_184943_Cab_Rt.jpg

Here is a photo of two wine racks my dadpicked upat a yard sale for $1 each. The rest of my wine is stored in a large plastic bin out of sight.
20061028_185406_Rk_1.jpg
Edited by: pkcook

Nice collection of wines going there....
smiley32.gif

Super-Kleer KC is wonderful stuff isn't it??? Thumbs-Up on that stuff....
smiley20.gif

It also works well on stubborn wine kits. I had 2 Trio Blanca that were not clearing well, so I added the SuperKleer and now they are ready for the filter and the upcoming bottling party.

Speaking of the Trio's, they were specific requests of the wife. She is in love with that wine. It was one of the 2006 limited editions. My favorite from last year was the Nebbiola. This year I am making 3 kits of each so maybe I can get at least one bottle to last over a year! I don't realize how much I give away until its gone!
smiley19.gif

Latest posts

Back