Sumac and cider wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zog

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that staghorn sumac (the non-poisonous sumac) can be used to increase tannin in cider. I make quite a bit of cider wine and I'm interested in experimenting with this idea. Does anyone have any experience?

I have heard of people making a kind of lemonaide type drink from sumac, they have little hairs on them that have something slightly toxic, oxalic or prussic acid, something obnoxious, that has to be dealt with before drinking. Always sounded like a lot of work and you wouldnt know if you did it right until you drank it and seen if your throat closed up:) There are so many other tannin sources that are so much easier to use, like crab apples, or oak, or winemaking tannins. But sumac is a legitimate wild food if you if you know how to prepare it, but would the acids outweigh its contribution of tannins? WVMJ

I have heard of people making a kind of lemonaide type drink from sumac, they have little hairs on them that have something slightly toxic, oxalic or prussic acid, something obnoxious, that has to be dealt with before drinking. Always sounded like a lot of work and you wouldnt know if you did it right until you drank it and seen if your throat closed up:) There are so many other tannin sources that are so much easier to use, like crab apples, or oak, or winemaking tannins. But sumac is a legitimate wild food if you if you know how to prepare it, but would the acids outweigh its contribution of tannins? WVMJ

I've made, enjoyed and survived sumac lemonade before. You have to strain off the fibers. I know there are easier ways, but there's just something cool and novel about the idea that I like. Found a story this morning about someone using sumac in apple wine... http://goateats.blogspot.com/2010/11/sumac.html

I read somewhere that staghorn sumac (the non-poisonous sumac) can be used to increase tannin in cider. I make quite a bit of cider wine and I'm interested in experimenting with this idea. Does anyone have any experience?

I have not made a wine with sumac but have made tea with it. I am still alive:) I feed the whole tree to my sheep and goats. They are still alive. The horses eat it as well. They are still alive and well too. I would not be overly concerned with sumac being poisenouse. Matter of fact, a sumac wine sounds like a tasty plan....
The whole plant is loaded with tannin. If you are concerened about the safty of the berry cluster, use the leaves for the tannin. The young wood is covered with hairs, however the old wood is not. The leaves are fairly smooth. The leaves and wood being easier to strain out then the berries anyway:). No color will be added either. ( I assume)

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back