Sulpite question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gesnipes

Reaction score
Instead of putting 1/4 teaspoon of potassium metabisulfite for 5 gallons, I had a brainlock and put 3/4 of a teaspoon in 5 gallons. Any idea how it will affect my wine?

If you were going to to MLF you might have messed that up - other than that you should be alright - i would just splash rack it the next time. The SO level should be fine in 3-4 months.

Commercial wines have over 10 times the sulphites as home made wine, so even if you triple
the amount it shouldn't make a huge difference.

Most of that will turn into SO2 and dissipate into the air anyway.

Thanks for the feedback. I thought it MIGHT be okay, but it helps hearing others confirm this. Glad it wasn't 3 teaspoons instead of three 1/4 teaspoons :)

Personnaly I think that puts you right at the commercial ppm of sulfites but being as they do so and age the wine awhile you will probably taste it for awhile and this will need some aging. You could splash rack it a little to get some of it out.

I have a similar issue... except worse!
I added 3 Tablespoons to 3 gallons of mead, then bottled it! Luckily it was only 13 bottles, so I can easily open them all and pour back into a carboy or bucket... Is this the thing to do to get the sulfites to evaporate?

Any advice is appreciated!

Can you detect it? If not don't worry about it. I would avoid taking action like splash racking unless you have a sensory issue.

It definitely has a strong sulfite smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

The only remedy is to get some O2 in there so the SO2 will bind up and become less detectable. You can do this by splash racking or a H2O2 addition (That's Hydrogen Peroxide) Personally I prefer the H2O2 addition because you can measure and quantify the results of your additions.

Please state your source or factual evidence for this statement.

That post was four years old and absolutely not true. All commercial wineries I know put the proper amount in based off of ph and might adjust up a small amount for what will be lost through filtering an bottling.

OOPS!!!! I hate when old threads get brought back to life. I am usually very good about looking at the dates before I get involved but obviously I failed to do that today. Sorry about that.

Excerpt:
I added 3 Tablespoons to 3 gallons of mead, then bottled it! Luckily it was only 13 bottles, so I can easily open them all and pour back into a carboy or bucket... Is this the thing to do to get the sulfites to evaporate?
Well, since you put over 40 times the amount needed for a strong dose, you have problems. If you haven't done so yet (I'm sure you did) unbottle it, pour it back and forth between 2 primaries for about a minute, then put in carboy with airlock and age it a year or two. It it still tastes & smells sulfury, repeat the above.

You can drive out the unbound (free) SO2, but the bound, elemental sulfur could be a problem as it combines with other constituents to make really bad compounds--but may not. But the danger is there. As soon as it is drinkable (assuming it will be one day), drink it quick. The good news is you won't have to worry about microorganisms growing in your mead.

Always (and I do mean ALWAYS) double check your measures before adding to wine or mead.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back