Other Suggestions on Early Drinking Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that my opinion is unpopular around here. But I really enjoyed the Costco kits. I had a kid that was a Malbec cab kit. The price for the two was $45 Canadian. Very affordable and not really any different than any of the other low and kits you would pick up and a fairly early drinker. Within three months it was pretty good. But I have never been a fancy wine drinker myself.

Why would your opinion be unpopular? It's your opinion, which you have every right to express. I used to find very affordable commercial wines quite enjoyable back in the day. Some deeper pocketed friends of mine spoiled that by sharing wines I couldn't afford back in those days, and I got a bit spoiled. Which is why I eventually pursued making my own wine, but I almost immediately gravitated toward the premium kits because they better mimicked the wines I had grown accustomed to. If you're happy with the results of cheaper kits, then consider yourself lucky and unspoiled. Your hobby will be just as rewarding, but with a much less detrimental financial investment. Cheers!:b:b

All the previous WE SI kits I've made (brunello, malbec/shiraz, tempranillo, and amarone) weren't what I'd consider "all that great" until around 18 months or so, this is the point where they really started to shine. Unfortunately by that point I had blown through more than half of each batch trying them at various stages. Based on that experience I no longer open them prior to at least a year of aging, and even then, only very occasionally to see how they're coming along. I have both the Petit Verdot and the Malbec bottled, The PV just hit the one year mark, the Malbec has another month to go. Once all five have hit the 18+ month point, I'll get some friends together and do a five bottle tasting, I'll report back with the notes and ratings on all five.

I stumbled upon this post while doing a search and with a bit of math realized that late October + 7 months = late May. Tasting time? :D

I stumbled upon this post while doing a search and with a bit of math realized that late October + 7 months = late May. Tasting time? :D

Thanks for the reminder. Trying to shake off an annoying sinus infection at the moment, so the tasting will have to wait until that clears out.

Just wondering ...
If you would age in pet plastic instead of glass, the wine would breathe more and get oxygenated more swiftly. If you would drink it quickly afterwards and not intend to age it in bottles, would this produce better results in a shorter time frame if you are not intending to keep them afterwards?

Just wondering ...
If you would age in pet plastic instead of glass, the wine would breathe more and get oxygenated more swiftly. If you would drink it quickly afterwards and not intend to age it in bottles, would this produce better results in a shorter time frame if you are not intending to keep them afterwards?

Using your logic, why not just age in an open container, and let it get all the oxygen it wants.

SLOW oxygenation over a long period of time is what you want.

Using your logic, why not just age in an open container, and let it get all the oxygen it wants.

SLOW oxygenation over a long period of time is what you want.

... and continuing the constructive line of discussion, by your logic a wine would best be oxygenated in a vacuum.

People add raisins to their wines to get winelike qualities fast so I thought having a slightly quicker rate of oxygenation might be useful in obtaining some mature characteristics earlier while admitting that it would obviously be not the best way if intending to age it for long.

... and continuing the constructive line of discussion, by your logic a wine would best be oxygenated in a vacuum.

Vacuum would minimize oxygenation, and also may draw out things you want to stay in.

Corks have a level of slow permeability that seems to be about right. Increasing the speed of oxygenation (significantly above natural cork level) is detrimental.

Polymerization is what you want as well as micro oxidation which is IMHO just as important and takes time hence the long wait.

Vacuum would minimize oxygenation, and also may draw out things you want to stay in.

Corks have a level of slow permeability that seems to be about right. Increasing the speed of oxygenation (significantly above natural cork level) is detrimental.

I in plain english suggest that it might not even work but in the the given time frame you could perhaps try to reach the maximum oxygenation by the original poster's six months the time of consumption and you come up with "but it won't be what it would be in two years" which would be a silly comment as such but you also come across badly.

Last edited:
To my original question, after review I ended up purchasing for my first kit wines LE Triumph and CC Amarone.
Needless to say, neither of these would be considered "early" drinking.
That said, I made Cabernet and Montepulciano from juice this past Fall, the Amarone was pitched in January the Tiumph in February.
I have sampled each, but chomping at the bit to drink!

Thanks,

Steve

I did the WE Luna Rossa in Jan. I added 4 lbs of Marquette skins (skins not cake). It drinks nicely already. Very fruity.

I got 6 Italian juice buckets in Oct. All drink OK already. I Cant seem to stay out of them.

Latest posts

Back