RJ Spagnols Suggestions for next wine kit.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMac

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I should be ready to bottle my very first wine kit (Heritage Estates Sauvignon Blanc, cheap I know) in about 2 weeks or less. I am looking for my next one to make.

I would like:
1) To move up the ranks to Grand Cru perhaps
2) Perhaps a red this time, something that can be drank fairly young (1-3 months, although I will probably put about 5 bottles away for a year)
3) Not extremely oaky

Thanks for the suggestions ahead of time.

Brad

Im going to tell you that reds are not that good in the cheap category so done be surprised when they are thi, lacking in body and taste and also low in abv for the style most likely so while thats in your mind picking a Cab or something like that in this category will be dissapointing to you most likely. Go for a thinner bodied wine like a Pinot Noir and you wont be as dissapointed.

Brad, I would stick to another small kit or a good white. These are early drinkers. I suggest building up a small inventory before making a big kit that will take 12-24 months before it is ready to drink. This way you will always have something to drink and won't be tempted to drink a wine before its time.
Plan B if you can swing it would be to buy another carboy and start two kits right now. A red and an early drinker.

Brad, I would stick to another small kit or a good white. These are early drinkers. I suggest building up a small inventory before making a big kit that will take 12-24 months before it is ready to drink. This way you will always have something to drink and won't be tempted to drink a wine before its time.
Plan B if you can swing it would be to buy another carboy and start two kits right now. A red and an early drinker.

That's what I did. Made 3 whites. About to start a chard that I'm going to age for six months and then a red I'm going to age for a year. Until then I'll just keep buying red from the store. We drink mostly white though.

Back