suggestions for Malbec juice...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phador

Green
Reaction score
hello all,
I just bought 6 gallons of Chilean Malbec juice from my local produce importer. I'm looking for some advice on how to proceed...I'm still new and have made a batch of Welch's, DB, SP, and have a couple other things bulk aging, but I have never bought a pail of juice before. Any suggestions?

Have you measured pH, SG and TA, or did the vendor give those to you? Do you know if the bucket was already innoculated, or do you need to pitch yeast?

I'm new to the buckets, but started a few last week. The proces is pretty simple, just choose your yeast and pitch.

The SG is 1.100. I broke the seal and it smelled wonderful, and tasted like a nice grape juice, but it was slightly fizzing and I heard that rice crispy sound....I wouldn't think it already had yeast. The company is Toro Negro. I'm still waiting on an acid test kit to come in.

Would adding yeast (was thinking rc 212) hurt anything if it is already inoculated?

Phador, I picked up the exact same bucket from M&M today, I used RC 212 and D245 blend,6 hrs after pitching yeast, fermentation has begun.. Oh! by the way, M&M now sells All Grape Packs,(Grape Skin Packs) 4 KG for 19.99 I believe it was!
I purchased one for my Malbec and one for My Cab Sav.

I would also use 3oz medium toasted French oak cubed for a couple months!

Phador, I picked up the exact same bucket from M&M today, I used RC 212 and D245 blend,6 hrs after pitching yeast, fermentation has begun.. Oh! by the way, M&M now sells All Grape Packs,(Grape Skin Packs) 4 KG for 19.99 I believe it was!
I purchased one for my Malbec and one for My Cab Sav.

When you opened your bucket, did you have any slight fizzing? Did you add nutrients etc?

The slight fizzing would mean the wine has started to ferment but if you add your yeast now it should take over the fermentation.

Do you like your wines sweet or dry, since you have made SP, DB and Welch's I would assume you prefer sweet. The reason I am asking is because if you like sweet wines you may not be happy with this wine as dry. I would take 1/2 and sweeten to .998, yes I know that isn't too high but enough to satisfy the sweet tooth and leave the rest dry. You will eventually be one to enjoy a dry wine.

The slight fizzing would mean the wine has started to ferment but if you add your yeast now it should take over the fermentation.

Do you like your wines sweet or dry, since you have made SP, DB and Welch's I would assume you prefer sweet. The reason I am asking is because if you like sweet wines you may not be happy with this wine as dry. I would take 1/2 and sweeten to .998, yes I know that isn't too high but enough to satisfy the sweet tooth and leave the rest dry. You will eventually be one to enjoy a dry wine.

Would you suggest adding any nutrients etc? I don't have a very refined taste as of yet, but I enjoy both sweet and dry wines and I'm excited to see how this wine develops.

Phador,
No, mine hadn't started to ferment, but if you read the pail, these wines only have sulfite added to them.

I use Go-ferm during Yeast Rehydration , and I am using Fermaid (yeast Nutrient), I will add a 1/2 teaspoon daily for three days as fermentation starts, this is the most active that fermentation will be.
By adding nutrients to the must you give the yeast the nutrients they need to survive and reach their maximum potential.

If you are like many of us, you will appreciate this wine, and many others, by tasting different types of wines, your tastes will expand and grow, I appreciate most wines and enjoy trying new wines, I like to have an open mind when trying new types, they may not be within my normal range of preferred wines, but I can appreciate them for what they are.

Cali Brothers in waterbury

Exact same place I get my juice pails from.
I never bought Chilean juice from them as I always bought in the fall (California grape juice).

Not sure about the Chilean juice but the juice from California is always innoculated (yeast already in it), so you may want to check with them.

BTW - I went there this morning and they ran out of almost every juice type, he said they only have Malbec and maybe some Merlot.

I never tried Malbec so I don't know how is that wine.

I bought Bello Chilean juice (six pails) and the juice was already innoculated. But the vendor(Presque Isle in Erie PA) recommended other yeasts to use to take over. Included in the envelopes were packets of yeast, nutrient, a superferment, and tannin. They also tested ph and gave me the right amount of tartaric to add to balance it out. The primary and secondary were slow but progressive for the last 4 weeks and they taste awesome for the stage they're at. So even if the wine may come with yeast in it already, other yeasts may give you the qualities you want. Ask somebody who has tested them already

Would you suggest adding any nutrients etc? I don't have a very refined taste as of yet, but I enjoy both sweet and dry wines and I'm excited to see how this wine develops.

Yes you could add some nutrients and you are going to love the Malbec. At six months this stuff is great, at one year it is awesome and at a year and a half it is unbelievable, it is becoming my favorite go to wine.

It goes well with a med. rare steak!

Yes you could add some nutrients and you are going to love the Malbec. At six months this stuff is great, at one year it is awesome and at a year and a half it is unbelievable, it is becoming my favorite go to wine.

It goes well with a med. rare steak!

The one down side to this new hobby is finding patience! I find myself peeking at my carboys daily as if something huge would have happened overnight!

The one down side to this new hobby is finding patience! I find myself peeking at my carboys daily as if something huge would have happened overnight!

Lol, I use to tell people I prayed for patience and God gave me a daughter! But I was so wrong, I prayed for patience and God instilled in me the desire to make wine. :sh

lol, and you are just starting....

How's the Malbec going?

I went to Calli Brothers and got 1 pail also, added oak chips and yeast energizer and yeast nutrient.

So I emailed Toro Negro about the juice pail. I asked them if yeast has already been added and what adjustments if any have been made to the must. Here is the response.

"The juices that you purchase are ready for fermentation. The natural yeasts are controlled prior to packaging. Nutrients are all controlled and not necessary to add. Tannins is a personal choice if you decide to put tannins in it will effect the pH and acidity levels.
Our recommendations is that you allow the primary fermentation to occur without additions. Secondary Fermentation and ageing is recommended in a barrel to enhance the oak flavour of the wine.

Hope this helps!"

I'm wondering what is meant by "natural yeast is controlled"

Any thoughts? I added RC212, any harm in this?

Latest posts

Back