Suggestions for a pear wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegrub

Reaction score
I will soon be starting a pear wine using juice obtained by steam-juicing. I would appreciate help with a recipe.

I sure would use pectic enzyme. I dont use a steamer so hopefully someone can help you out like waldo or NW as they are the steamer people. All I can say is to keep the SG down on this 1 as I went with a starting SG of 1.094 on mine and flavor was very hidden for quite some time.

I would keep the SG down around 1.090, because fruit wines that are higher in alcohol content (above 13%) tend to taste like jet fuel.

Smoke,

Iam also starting a pear using Jacks recipe but thinking of adding acouple of cans of white grape. Didn't steam juice the pears just cutting up.

Anyone see any problems or maybethose who have tried the white grape and pear??????? Also it calls for a whole pkg of yeast, but I see on mostposts theyuse much less for a gallon batch.

Don't mean to steal your thread Smokegrub maybe both can get some good info!

Both your wine sound good to me....

I have never steam juiced pears so can't help you with that question.

I hope to have pears someday so will be interested in following this thread and learn from your adventure.

Photos would be nice....
smiley4.gif

In the absence of experience with steam-juiced pears, I will proceed as I did with my steam juiced blackberries with the exception that I will add a bit more pectic enzyme.

I don't think I ever tried to Juice pears. However I did post it when I made a horrible Spiced Pear wine.....
smiley11.gif

I tried guessing rather than taking the time to look for a recipe and used about 6 sticks of cinnamon and a handful of cloves...............

It was like drinking hot Ham..............

Edit: A friend of mine just steamed several bushels of pears and has made a wine that isn't done yet, but so far he's pretty happy with it.............. Of course he say's that it's better than mine..................... Friends...............sigh

Edit #2: (Alzheimer's setting in) You might be right NW about not getting much juice. When My friend was steaming his, he wasn't getting a lot till I told him about adding about 1/2 cup of sugar to the pears when in the steamer. He said he was getting about 2 to 3 times the amount of juice after that.

Edited by: jobe05

I didn't get much juice considering the quantity of pears I steamed. This had better be a good wine!

I have found that fruit wines that taste like jet fuel either in the process did not have enough body to start with (juice concentrated enough to have density) and hence the only thing it could offer was alcohols balance from the very start is the keystone of a good fruit wine .

No, I did not get a recipe for steam-juiced pears. As I mentioned above, I will use the same recipe I did for blackberries excpet that I will use a bit more pectic enzyme.

Latest posts

Back