Sugar to Fruit ratio question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

habanerojefe

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm on my second go-round making raspberry wine. I was pleased with the first batch - although it tasted a little watery.

Currently I have 4.5 lbs of raspberries sitting in the first primary with 7 pints of water. I boiled in 3 lbs of sugar prior to pouring over the berries.

There's 1 lb more berries and 3/4 lb more sugar in the same amount of water as I used in my first batch. There's also 1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient and a campden tablet dissolved into it.

My question is, what can I expect with this new ratio and do I need to adjust Nutrients and camped tablet amounts?

Thank you.

More fruit in the same amount of water will give you more fruit flavor. I'd go by your volume in your primary to do your campden and nutrients.

Ok, I will. Thanks. I was hoping to hear that about the flavor! Also, I used one, 5 gram packet of champaign yeast in my first batch. Do I need to reconsider the amount this time?

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited:
5 grams of yeast will do about 5-6 gallons of wine. the fruit to water ratio will determine flavor. the sugar to water ratio will provide alcohol level information based on specific gravity measurements. some wine maker suggest not adding water to fruit to increase flavor. your own experience will give you the best ratio.

Latest posts

Back