Stupid Question.....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chasemandingo

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a stupid question. Is sorbate necessary when you don't plan on back sweetening a wine? For instance, I have a spiced apple wine in primary and plan on back sweetening. So after bulk aging I will sulfite and sorbate it and sweeten. Then I will let it sit to make sure no more fermentation occurs and that it doesn't drop sediment. Then bottle. But what about a wine that goes dry and is meant to stay that way?

I would make sure ALL the sugar has been fermented out if not adding sorbate. Otherwise youd be ok, some maybe add it for insurance

no such thing as a stupid question..
i never sorbate a dry,clear,degassed wine.
even if i add a simple syrup...If i feel there is no yeast present, I will not sorbate, is it a crapshoot, yes....but if your wine is dry,degassed and clear the chance of referment is very slim if any.
just saying. not advising.

James how do you know there is no yeast present?

chasemandingo, if you are not planning on back sweetening, I won't worry about adding sorbate. Also, sorbate needs to be used in conjunction to k-meta. Sorbate does not kill the yeast, it prevents the yeast from multiplying.

Julie, from what I have read....If your wine is super clear, no more lees settling,degassed, and is finnished dry....there should not be any yeast present, is that wrong.

Well James to be honest, I won't trust that information.

Well, yeast are ubiquitous. All you need are a few dormant cells to wake up and start feeding on sugar. They can multiply pretty fast. I would be wary.

Back