Cellar Craft Stuck in 2nd

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez2cy

Reaction score
I sent Cellar Craft an email, but not hearing back from them.

I have a Pinot Girgio that I started on May 2nd. I should have hit the clearing stage at day 20-22, which is past due by.....over 2 weeks?

It is extremely clear, and you can see small tiny bubbles coming up constantly. SG is staying at around 1.

Should I just clear it and stop the process? Or wait?

Been making wine from kits for 20 years and never had this before.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum.

Hard to say, but it sounds like CO2 bubbling up.

Did you degas the wine?

If it is clear, rack it off any sediment and try degassing it again.

I do not make kits but I would wonder if it needs to be degassed?

But should that not be after it's done? According to the directions, I need to be under SG of 1 and it not fermenting anymore. I stirred it up to see what would happen. I"ll let it settle and see what happens. Then I'll degas even though I've never done that "before" it quit bubbling.
Thanks

The order of process is generally something like:
- Ferment in primary to some lower SG number, like 1.010
- Rack to secondary fermenter (carboy) and let wine ferment until it is at or
below SG 1.000 and has not changed for 3 days in a row.
- Rack off lees to another carboy, stabilize, degas, add clearing agent and wait for wine to clear.

Sometimes a wine will quit fermenting at 1.000 or slightly higher. Stirring it and heating it to 75F may help but not always.

Fermenting generally take about 2 to 3 weeks (or less). If yours never got below 1.000, it likely got too cold or something since it got stuck. If it is at 1.000 consider it done fermenting and move on. However, the wine must be degassed before you start clearing. Gassy wine has a hard time ever clearing completely.

Since you stirred it all back up, I would go ahead and stabilize it (if you haven't already) and degas it now, then let it clear again. It will clear easier if the temperature is in the mid 70'sF.

Last edited:
Back