Stuck fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeycannoli

Reaction score
Doing a white blend and I need some advice. Its 24 gallons of Chardonnay and Riesling (3:1 ratio). Fermented both together. Starting SG of 1.086 on 10/25. Used D47 yeast and inoculated as per instructions with Go-Ferm. Added Fermaid-K a day later when fermentation began.

SG was at 1.010 a week later on November 1st, which is when I racked off the gross lees and put the wine into a secondary container. November 5th we were down to 1.004 where it has been stuck since with no movement.

Also, an interesting observation. When I stir the less I am getting a lot of foaming still.

Do I have a stuck fermentation? Opinions on how to proceed? The wine tastes pretty dry, but seems like we still have too much residual sugar.

I don't think it is stuck, just very slow at this point. The foaming tells me it is still fermenting.

I agree with @Julie , and given a good looking nutrient plan, am curious about the temps in your fermenting area and of the nearly finished wine. Sometimes, a little heat will boost it right over the finish line.

Latest posts

Back