"Stuck" fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truebrew

Reaction score
2 days ago, I pitched yeast in 2 batches of wine, one 2 gal. batch of "crazin raisin" (a 50/50 craisin and raisin blend) and one 1 gal. batch "wild Alaska Blueberry" made from frozen wild berries. Craisin is happily bubbling away. Blueberry has yet to start.

I used Lalvin EC-1118 for both, rehydrating the yeast in must for 12 mins. before adding. Temp of rehydrated yeast was same as must. SG was virtually the same for both at 1.096. I've stirred both each day. Temp for fermenting is 73 deg.

Is the Blueberry "stuck"? Should I do anything or just wait?

Thanks for any advice offered.

Is the Blueberry "stuck"? Should I do anything or just wait?
1. It's not stuck until you have sg readings. Visual signs are just not that reliable. It could be fermenting quietly.

2. 2 days might not be enough time. Different musts ferment differently. In this case, strong chance that there are different levels of nutrients in the two.

3. Were the frozen blueberries totally natural or were there some preservatives? If applicable, do you still have the packaging available. Any sorbate or benzoate?

Steve

1. It's not stuck until you have sg readings. Visual signs are just not that reliable. It could be fermenting quietly.

2. 2 days might not be enough time. Different musts ferment differently. In this case, strong chance that there are different levels of nutrients in the two.

3. Were the frozen blueberries totally natural or were there some preservatives? If applicable, do you still have the packaging available. Any sorbate or benzoate?

Steve

I was going on sound more than visual. The blueberry is....quiet. The blueberries were wild. I picked and froze them myself. No preservatives at all. I did add nutrients to both wines. Maybe the blueberry needed more than the craisin????

Yep, double check those SG readings just in case its a quiet one.

How often should the SG reading be done? In one of my winemaking books, it says not to pour the tested must back into the fermenter. If you only make a 1 gal batch at the time and do a lot of testing, there won't be any left to drink!!

If you sanitize everything that touches your wine disregard that statement! Make yoursefl a sulfite solution consisting of 3 tbls of k-meta to one gallon of warm water and use that to sanitize anything that will touch your wine.

Blueberry can be a tough one to start sometimes, if u make a starter and keep adding a little juice at a time and then after it's good and going add it tomthe must. Did u just add nutrient or did u also add energizer?

Last edited:
If you sanitize everything that touches your wine disregard that statement! Make yoursefl a sulfite solution consisting of 3 tbls of k-meta to one gallon of warm water and use that to sanitize anything that will touch your wine.

I'm glad to hear that since I thought I was cheating. That's what I've been doing.....

Did an SG reading on the blueberry. I must have read it wrong to start with. Before adding the yeast it was at 1.110. Thinking that was way too high, I added just enough water to bring it down to what I thought was 1.096. The reading just now was 1.100. Is it even possible to go up instead of down???

Blueberry can be a tough one to start sometimes, if u make a starter and keep adding a little juice at a time and then after it's good and going add it tomthe must. Did u just add nutrient or did u also add energizer?

Just nutrient. Should I add energizer? If so, how much? (1 gal batch)

As said above Cranberry and Blueberry contain a yeast inhibitor called benzoate so getting them started and keeping them going can sometimes be tough. I always use both nutrient and energizer in all my fruit wines. Nutrient is used at 1 tsp per gallon and energizer is 1/2 tsp per gallon. Get the temp up around 75* also if it isnt as that will greatly increase its ability to get going.

Last edited:
As said above Cranberry and Blueberry conatin a yeast inhibitor called benzoate so getting them started and keeping them going can sometimes be tough. I always use both nutrient and energizer in all my fruit wines. Nutrient is used at 1 tsp per gallon and energizer is 1/2 tsp per gallon. Get the temp up around 75* also if it isnt as that will greatly increase its ability to get going.

OK, will add the energizer and up the temp. Fingers are crossed.

Thanks, everyone!

Not bad, get it up just a little more then once it starts it will make its own climate.

Last edited:
:u

24 hrs. later....
SG is now 1.094 and the temp is at a toasty 80 deg. So I guess it's working now. Airlock is flatlined, though. No pressure.

Should I keep it at that temp until racking into the secondary and then let it drop back to about 72 deg.? Or should I let it stay at about 80 for the entire fermentation period?

Thanks!
Susan

id keep it about that temp till you see a nice active ferment for a couple days and then it will produce its own temp. also i would pull the airlock off and pop the lid loose stir twice a day and just rest the lid on top or put a cloth and rubber band it so it dosn't drop into the must. You acctually want O2 right now at this stage. once the sg has dropped to around 1.005 or so you can snap the lid down and add your airlock.

:u to the :u

OK, it's official...the blueberry is definitely stuck. SG is still at 1.094 at 82 deg. for 2 days after adding the energizer. (5 days since adding the first yeast.)

So, I've added another 1/2 tsp energizer and another packet of rehydrated yeast. This time, Premier Cuvee. I re-covered the primary with cheesecloth, secured by a rubber band AND the lid is on top but askew to allow for breathing.

Alaska wild blueberries are very tart and flavorful. Maybe they have higher concentrations of inhibitors, too. I had no idea.

Please tell me this isn't a lost cause.

Latest posts

Back