Struggling to find bulk lemon juice in the UK, will this work?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PintofZzar

Junior
Reaction score
4B86F592-2F4B-4D00-AE73-8C2E74810E42.jpeg

It’s already got potassium some preservatives in it, would this be ok to use? And if so, would I then not add any later in the recipe? I’ve had no luck looking in stores so far. Thanks!
https://amzn.eu/d/aJDLiQX

As you say, it has sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate in it. These are specifically intended to prevent the reproduction of yeasts (and other fungi). That is, they are intended to prevent accidental fermentation. But they will also inhibit intentional fermentation!

If needed, you might be able to overcome this with a vigorous starter culture. But probably better, IMHO, to keep looking for another source.

As you say, it has sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate in it. These are specifically intended to prevent the reproduction of yeasts (and other fungi). That is, they are intended to prevent accidental fermentation. But they will also inhibit intentional fermentation!

If needed, you might be able to overcome this with a vigorous starter culture. But probably better, IMHO, to keep looking for another source.
Thank you that helps a lot! Might just get like 50 lemons to squeeze at this point

I don't know if this will be helpful, but Amazon sells an organic lemon juice, Italian Volcano, that I made a Skeeter Pee version with. It turned out incredible. Not Skeeter Pee-ish at all, it has a much more refined taste than the Real Lemon brand I usually use.

Here's a link to one of the listings.

https://www.amazon.com/Italian-Volc...AnSA==&sprefix=organic+lemon+j,aps,575&sr=8-2
Totally agree. I use Italian Volcano for everything and it's considerably cheaper at Costco. To me Real Lemon has a metallic taste and I haven't used it for years.

Thank you that helps a lot! Might just get like 50 lemons to squeeze at this point
How much are you looking to use? I had the same problem and ended up buying this from Amazon...not cheap but I could find anything else without additives, its about 1.2 ltrs for £12!

I just use a cheap lemon juice concentrate. Yes it contains preservatives but you can get the fermentation started by leaving it sit in fermenter and mixing in air from time to time over a 2 or 3 day period of time before you add your yeast.

Back