STRETCHING SUPER-KLEER KC

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Wanted to add SUPER-KLEER KC to my gallons of 'Juggie-Wine'....had 2 batches that amounted to just a liter over 6 gallons....

Siphoned the wine out of the gallons and into bottling buckets.....

Put Package D-1 [KIESELSOL] of the SUPER KLEER K-C into a measuring cup, put water up to 1/2 cup...stirred...divided it into the two buckets of wine....stirred...WAITED 1 HOUR AS IT NOW STATES ON THE LABEL...

Added Package D-2 [CHITOSAN] into the measuring cup and brought the water up to 1/2 cup, then also divided it between the two buckets....stirred.

Continued stirring as it was 'spigot-ed' back into the gallon jugs....

It appears to have worked as it does when added to the carboys....Within no time the gallons of Cranberry and Cherry wines were showing sediment...No waste, no guessing....

SuperKleer.jpg
Edited by: Northern Winos

NW, I dont think you add water to part 1 of the SuperKleer or at least I never noticed that!

No you don't usually add water to the Package D-1, but I didn't know how else to be sure to get half into each bucket...so diluted it and used the measuring cup to get the right amount of product into each wine....didn't know if it would harm the product or not.

Had thought of using a measuring spoon, but used the diluted method....it appears to be working.

Also I mixed D-2 with water to bring it up to 1/2 cup...it says to add to only 1 ounce of water...

Don't think the extra water harmed the wine too much...sometimes I top off with that much.

Think I will try this again should I ever have enough jugs going to equal 5 or 6 gallons.

NW - I did exactly the same thing last week and it worked beautifully. I had a 2-gallon batch of cranberry and a 2-gallon batch of blueberry. Because these had originally had real fruit pulp, I really wanted to be sure they cleared well, but I just didn't want to spend the extra $$ for super kleer for these small batches. I did exactly what you did and diluted it with 1/2 cup water so that I could measure it. Pkt #1 contained such a small amount, I couldn't tell how much was 1/2 of it without adding something measurable to it. The cranberry was crystal cleeeeear in 30 hours. The blueberry is so dark it is harder to tell, but my light test shows it really clear. This has been a really good exercise for me because I make a lot of the one and two-gallon experiments, so now I know it works.

Back