Strawberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booboo

Reaction score
I just stabilized my strawberry wine and sweetened it with an f-pack I made from the juice prior to fermentation. The aroma is real good. The flavor is tart and acidic initially but the after taste is real nice. The PH is 3.3. I don't want to make this a real sweet wine. Is there a way to remove the edgy bite without sweetening it?

Cold stabilize it with the addition of Potassium Bicarbonate...

That should cut the acidity down.

A touch of sugar afterwards if it is still a bit tart will balance it as well...

Do you mind giving detailed instruction on how to do this? Amounts - temperature - time- etc.

Cold stabilize it with the addition of Potassium Bicarbonate...

That should cut the acidity down.

A touch of sugar afterwards if it is still a bit tart will balance it as well...

I usually cold stabilize at aprox. 30 deg. for about 2 weeks. You should see small crystals on the bottom of the carboy when the acid falls out. Make sure to put alcohol in the air lock so that it won't freeze.

I cold stabilize at about 29 - 30* for 3-4 weeks.

I have never added potassium bicarbonate in - i have some on hand - but never used it.

It will give you instructions on the additions you need to add.

You get crystals? What do you think they are comprised of? Strawberries have only a tiney amount of tartaric acid, mostly citric and some malic. I'd be surprised if it was potasium bitartrate dropping out. But good luck if it is.

I cold stabilized it for about a month now and it is still too acidic. I have some potassium bicarbonate, is this what I should use? How much? How?

I cold stabilized it for about a month now and it is still too acidic. I have some potassium bicarbonate, is this what I should use? How much? How?

Try drawing a small sample and add just a bit of sugar. You don't have to make it sweet, but a little sugar mite help it a lot. Arne.

Back