strawberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want a really great recipe for dry or semi-dry strawberry wine, the one in "Making Wild Wines and Meads" is terrific. There is tannin to give it more mouth feel and it really makes a sophisticated-tasting wine. I have several friends that don't like sweet wines and they went nuts for this dry version.

U got it Waldo.... I like the way U think.....
smiley32.gif

Goodfella, speaking of fruit wine.
smiley36.gif

The fruit wine you helped me with last summer is a yr old now. I gave a bottle of the blueberry wine to a friend and his wife. Good reviews, good taste, a little too sweet. So, I guess we did ok. Maybe not so much back sweetening next time.
smiley4.gif
So........thank you!

And thanks also for all the direction and patience from Tepe.
smiley4.gif

What about adding bananas? I've seen recipes for strawberry wine calling for bananas, I suppose to add body. Has anyone here ever used bananas and what were the results?

Fred

surlees said:
What about adding bananas? I've seen recipes for strawberry wine calling for bananas, I suppose to add body. Has anyone here ever used bananas and what were the results?

Fred
I do that all the time. I even use them on my CA and Chilean juices. Adds body (mouthfeel)

....and there is no trace of bannana flavor (at least in my expirience with it)

Yep you are right. Now what I do is make a banana "soup". I have bananas frozen for this. Take at least 4 #'s and simmer them in a pot. Strain thru a kitchen strainer and add to primary.

Thats pretty much what I do also. But I have not froze mine. I will give that a try.

tepe said:
Yep you are right. Now what I do is make a banana "soup". I have bananas frozen for this. Take at least 4 #'s and simmer them in a pot. Strain thru a kitchen strainer and add to primary.

Thanks, that's what I'll do.

Fred

Goodfella said:
Thats pretty much what I do also. But I have not froze mine. I will give that a try.
I freeze for 2 reasons
1 I freeze as they go "over ripe" or, when I get a deal on them.
2 freezing fruit breaks down the cell walls for better extraction.

Back