Strawberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaDon

Reaction score
Spring is almost here. 84 here today but will be cooler this weekend. Spring brings strawberries to those of us in the south. I haveseveral huge strawberry farms within a mile or 2 of my home. So, I have strawberry wine on my mind. I have searched the past postshere atFVWbut have not found a receipe for just plan old strawberry wine. There are all kind of strawberry receipes but they all have some other kind of fruit in them. Does anyone have a receipe for a killer strawberry wine? I want it to be sweet andtaste like fresh strawberries.I can get my berries right from the field. Would they be better if I bought "over rip" berries from the farm and bring them home andput them in thefreezer them until I have enough? Any Help?

Scuba: Sounds like you are after almost the same thing I'm going for. I want something of an after dinner drink, sweet, heavy and high alcohol content. Thats why I'm shooting for the Port style. If I can get a strawberry to turn out anything like my blackberry, I'd be happy.

Hi neighbor,
Let me know how yours is coming along. I might need to give you a call to see if you have been by the winery lately. I am using 90 of the bottles you gave me for my son's wedding wine. I also have a cab and a port that I am making and want to make a batch of the IM green apple. Never enough bottles those 200 will go quickly.

I posted before, I have 5 cases, cleaned and delabeled with your name on them. Will that be enough? I could probably go 8 cases if you need them.

Haven't started the strawberry yet. Waldo got me the recipe (a couple of threads down from this one) and I'll be starting it, possibly this sunday.

I have never seen such a low number of posts on this website. Guess that asking about how to make strawberry wine is not the right thing to do on the website. Sure wish if there was anyone out there with some strawberry winereceipes would share them with me.

I made one back in Dec, used this recipe that I got from beer-wine.com.

<UL>Strawberry Wine Making Recipe Ingredients
<LI>4 lbs of strawberries
<LI>1 ½ lb white granulated sugar
<LI>1 tsp Nutrient Powder
<LI>¾ tsp acid blend
<LI>½ tsp pectic enzyme powder
<LI>1 campden tablet
<LI>½ tsp energizer powder
<LI>Wine yeast </LI>[/list]

Came out pretty good, but I think if I do it again I will sweeten back with some set aside strawberry juice after fermentation.Wasa 1 gallon Batch.Edited by: JWMINNESOTA

We make strawberry wine regularly...but we like it dry and I add WinExpert Red Grape concentrate to it, so it is a red wine with a nice strawberry flavor...very nice.

The last batch I added oak and it really made it nice with a slight vanilla taste...Next batch I might even add a couple small vanilla beans as well as the oak...

I steam extract my juices...but kind of know how many pounds I used...Kind of like this:

STRAWBERRY/RED WINE

- 20# OF STRAWBERRIES...STEAM JUICED = 11 QUARTS JUICE [S.G.1030]
- 6 CAMPDEN TABLETS [CRUSHED]
- 2 + 1/3 BOTTLE WINEXPERT RED GRAPE CONCENTRATE
- 6 TSP ACID BLEND
- 4 TSP LIQUID TANNIN
- 8 + 1/2 POUNDS SUGAR...AND...WATER TO 6 GALLONS
[S.G. 1092]

NEXT DAY:
- 3 TSP PECTIC ENZYME
- 6 TSP YEAST NUTRIENT
- 3 TSP YEAST ENERGIZER
- 2 PKG LALVIN RC 212 [I USE 2 PKG OF YEAST IN MOST 6 GALLON RECIPES]

I added the oak to the secondary Fermenter for about 2 weeks....I used SUPER-KLEER K-C and it cleared very nice.

At bottling I stabilized with sorbate and added 1 1/2 tsp ascorbic acid to retain the color....a beautiful wine...dry but has the sweet strawberry flavor with a hint of oaky vanilla...

Hope this gives you some ideas..
Edited by: Northern Winos

Thanks JWM,
I was wondering where you where Northern Wino? I might be wrong but I think of you as our resident fresh fruit wine maker. Thanks for the receipe. I like some dry wines but I think I could concentrate some juice and back sweeten this receipe before bottling. Looking forward to making my first none kit wine and getting into the local fruit. How long to you normally letit age before considering it ready?

Thanks Scuba...just call me 'fruity'....when you said you wanted a sweet wine I hoped someone else would come through for you.

I think if you used this recipe and a different yeast you would be well pleased...like Côtes des Blanc....or others that finish with residual sugar...or just back sweetened at the end.

We are enjoying a glass of our most recent batch today for 'Happy Hour'...there is no shortage of strawberry flavor...It was bottled in Dec 2006.Even tho it finished dry, it has that intense sweet strawberry flavor....it would make your taste buds think it is a sweet wine.

Last year I wasn't able to drink wine for many months and our wines actually got to age....we were very impressed with the changes that took place...

Recently with each batch bottled I have been boxing up a case [12 bottles] and put the box on it's side away from use...then put 8 bottles on a rack that is intended as the '6 month rack'...the rest are on an 'odds & ends' rack...this is what we are drinking now along with the 1 and 2 year old wines....

Lately we are polishing off some of the last of the older wines...along with it we try one from the new batches....both are good...Now with the added oak the flavors are more complex...

You are going to enjoy your strawberry wine...Keep us Posted on your recipe, the production and results...this will be fun to watch your process.

Thank you "Fruity", I have given you a new name.
Thank you for the update and information about the aging. Sounds like your wine aged 3 to 4 months and good to hear how wonderful it is. I don't know if you bulk aged it before bottling? I love the way you describe the way the wine taste. I think I will use your receipe exactly as you provided it. If I later think that sweeter would be better I can always make another batch! It is sad that we live so far apart as it would be nice to get together for a sampling.

I don't bulk age in the carboy...about 2 months of racking from one carboy to another till it's clear is all the 'bulk-aging' it gets.

We tasted a Strawberry wine at a winery in Arkansas this weekend that was to die for. I have make it from scratch last year and it was just okay. This was ummy. So I asked them about it. It was a Chardenay wine flavored with strawberry surrup. No oaking at all. It was the best I have tasted. I will be doing it this way. Just a thought. kathy

Latest posts

Back