Strawberry Wild Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's really great stuff.

Slow ferment, kinda like the articles said. I'm at 1.05 this evening with a strong boiling appearance around the straining bag.

If this were a Montrachet yeast, I imagine I would be looking at a reading below 1.02 and considering racking tomorrow.

If I read this right, you used a third of the nutrient at start, I would give it another third about now with the 1.040 or 1.050 s.g. Add the last third about 1.020. Should help keep it from sticking. Arne.

1.04 and going strong. This evening there is a strong fermentation smell that overpowers the strawberry for the first time. It tastes fantastic as it is still sweet. I have never had such a slow ferment. I am guessing this is what it would be like to ferment in the upper 60's temperature wise as I know the warmer the temp, the faster the yeast tends to rip through the sugar, also leaving signs of stress. I finally get to see a slow mover.

I think you are adding it a bit late Arne, most of the nutrients should be in there before they get serious about making alcohol, as there are many variations of the staggared nutrient addition out there, I think they want it all before the 40% of the sugar break has been reached. Not 100% sure a consensus has been reached on exactly the point to stop adding nutrients in SNA but 1.02 is when a lot of people transfer to their secondary fermentor. WVMJ

If I read this right, you used a third of the nutrient at start, I would give it another third about now with the 1.040 or 1.050 s.g. Add the last third about 1.020. Should help keep it from sticking. Arne.

Thanks Jack. That brings a whole new question. I have racked just below 1.03, and also gone completely dry before racking. When should I plan to rack this batch?

Last edited:
Chris, ......I typically add at 1.02 more nutrient. This is a ambient fermentation, I myself would add the nutrient at that point and sir really well. I would also go dry in primary. I would also add about 5 lbs of strawberries ( Leave them in for 2 weeks) at that point as well. So you can get some alcoholic extraction of the goodies vs Yeast extraction. Cheers!

I am still at 1.04. No change from yesterday. There is still a spring like boil happening. Can I add the extra fruit now for the extra nutrients it would provide as well? I am pacing the 12 ft wine room waiting for a drop in SG. Getting nervous....

Add the fruit...maybe.

I'd try a 1/2 tsp of EC-1118. You may have a stuck fermentation.

Chris........I would just hang in there for a few days, see what happens don't fret just yet. I have had fermentation do the same thing. They pick up and finish out, hold out until you get to around 1.02 before adding the additional fruit. When you add the fruit add the nutrients. How does the must smell? Any off odors? Sulfur, etc. If not don't worry! Let the wine make itself. You are learning a lot during this process. Experience is the best teacher. Keep us update. Cheers

You guys are painful to watch, this is supposed to be fun:) You have time to do a little homework on when to add yeast nutrients, rack etc. If you are stuck using some FERAL yeast on your strawberry its probably time to throw in some big boy yeast and let them finish up your job before your ferals start making feral rhino fart smells in your house. I have a feeling the wild stuff is just about ready to give up. WVMJ

That is what I needed to hear. It smells great. It still has a sweet fruit smell that I could only hope the finished product will have. It is not bubbling as hard now, but is rather making that bubble that most of my new starts make which I liken to thousands of gnats on a still lake. Maybe there is a new wild yeast taking over. I shall not pitch a new yeast until we confirm this one is done.

At 1.02 I am not sure the yeast can take up any extra nutrients, especially nitrogen, it seems to be the commonly accepted fact that yeast cant untilize these nutrients after a certain level of alcoholic fermentation has been reached and adding nutrients that the yeast cant use leaves it in the wine for things like bacteria to use. And for leaving the strawberries for 2 weeks, you can easily get bitterness from berry seeds doing it that long, these are strawberries, a couple 2 or 3 days will get out the good stuff from red parts before extracting bitter stuff from the seeds. WVMJ

Chris, ......I typically add at 1.02 more nutrient. This is a ambient fermentation, I myself would add the nutrient at that point and sir really well. I would also go dry in primary. I would also add about 5 lbs of strawberries ( Leave them in for 2 weeks) at that point as well. So you can get some alcoholic extraction of the goodies vs Yeast extraction. Cheers!

cohenhouse77 said:
James, how is your strawberry doing?

Good, was down to 1.05 yesterday. However, was called out of town yesterday on a death in the family suddenly so I am praying that it is not bubbling over in my wine cubby. That will be nice to come home to!

Back