Strawberry white merlot will not clear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fotogrf

Junior
Reaction score
Ok on Feb 19th we started a strawberry white merlot Island mist by winexpert. we had an SG of 1.052 then added 4lbs of sugar giving us a new SG of 1.078. By March 3 it had stopped droping and stabilized at 1.006 so we racked to secondary carboy On March 11 with an sg of .0094 we added metasulphite and sobate. Westirred for 2 min and vaccumed for an hour. we added the fruit syrup which brought our SG up to 1.014 we then added the Chitosan and stirred for 2 min with a mix stir on a drill. we topped off and waited on March 25 it had only cleared half way down the carboy. so we stirred again and waited on the 27th same thing cleared halfway. we then added another pack of Chitosan and stirred. Problem is now it hasnt cleared at all. Any suggestions welcome cause it smells and tastes delicious just really cloudy. :c

What is the temperature? Should be around 75 degrees or so. Let it sit for a while. Most will not clear in a day or two. Give it acouple of weeks at least. Arne.

The clearing system that utilizes Chitosan also includes Kieselsol which is to be added first. I didn't see in your post where you added the Kieselsol. Maybe when you mentioned Chitosan, you meant both. Just a thought.

Arne its aroung 75 +- 1 Mike i looked back at the instructions and i didnt see that listed. What is on the list is Bentonite, Metabisulphite, sorbate, Fining agent, plus the Large juice bag, smaller juice pack and yeast. If you think it will clear in time we will just let it sit.

The clearing system that utilizes Chitosan also includes Kieselsol which is to be added first. I didn't see in your post where you added the Kieselsol. Maybe when you mentioned Chitosan, you meant both. Just a thought.
Not always Flem. And specifically not when talking about Winexpert kits.

Fotogrf:

If it's still not clear on Monday, I suggest that you contact the Winexpert Help Desk. They are usually very helpful.

Steve

we topped off and waited on March 25 it had only cleared half way down the carboy. so we stirred again and waited on the 27th same thing cleared halfway.

All wine kits say 7 to 14 days to clear. I have a Strawberry Lychee clearing now just started Tuesdays and 1.5 bottle is almost clear but 23L is soso...Just waiting it out as I know its clearing...

Not always Flem. And specifically not when talking about Winexpert kits.

Fotogrf:

If it's still not clear on Monday, I suggest that you contact the Winexpert Help Desk. They are usually very helpful.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I just learned something. :b

Steve thanks i was thinking about calling them. Is it possible that adding the sugar has caused this? This is our first time Chaptalizating a wine.

Steve thanks i was thinking about calling them. Is it possible that adding the sugar has caused this? This is our first time Chaptalizating a wine.
Lots of people add sugar to these kits without having clearing problems. You didn't add enough sugar to give the yeast (probably EC-1118) any trouble.

Steve

Sounds good Steve Ill give them a call monday Thanks everyone for the advice Ill let you know what we find out.

Update, I called Winexpert they said to add bentonite and they would send us some. I stopped at my local store and picked up a package since i couldnt wait and added it in per the directions and overnight we were almost clear its been 3 days now and the wine is clear I racked today and plan to bottle this weekend.

I have this problem with W.E. kits all the time and have said it on here many times. Now if and when I do 1 of their kits I either throw away their fining agent and use a pack of SuperKleer or if the place has it I pick up the pack of Kiesol to go with the W.E. Chitosan. Together they are the same product as SuperKleer and together they work great! Basically overnight but please let them sit about 2 weeks for them to compact really nice making it much easier for you to rack off of without disturbing the bed.

I had a WE kit that tested positive for pectin (pectic haze) after waiting an extra month to clear. I treated it with pectic enzyme and it cleared right up. Take a tablespoon of wine and add to about a quarter cup of alcohol (regular household rubbing will do). Look closely for little white strands forming (they are very small). It's an easy test to do, and may save you some time and headaches.

Latest posts

Back