Not sure?????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry0220

Reaction score
Not sure if my strawberry is re-fermenting or I still need to de-gas more. Stablized on 9/5 added sorbate & pot meta along with an f-pak, sg went to 1.006,,figure it was ok and waited. Had hubby take a taste and we both agreed that it need alittle more sweetening to help bring out the fruit flavors. Being I was low on the poundage of strawberries, I took out a 1# bag of frozen strawberries (whole) along with a 1# container of frozen sliced sweetened strawberries. When thawed simmered it all on the stove with 1 c sugar and 1 small bottle of welch's white grape juice. Added 2 Campten tablets since I would be letting this sit overnight and strained in the am and added it to the 6 gal. carboy, stirred well. Tasted just right. Stirred well and also added isinglas to help in clearing. However, I went to check on my babies and noticed there was a small ring of bubbles and some small bubbles coming up the sides of the carboy, so that is where I am,,is it refermenting or do I still have to de-gas more???:d

did you take a hyrdometer reading after you added the last batch of fruit and welch's? if so take another one. Is there small bubbles running across the top of the wine or just along the glass. If you are seeing bubbles across the top of the wine, it maybe fermenting. When you tasted it did it leave a tingle on your tongue? And how old is the sorbate and where do you keep it?

didn't check the sg after back sweetening it the second time, did it more my taste and what we were happy with. sg right now is 1.010, so I don't think it has changed much from then, and I just started seeing the little bubbles yesterday when I was working on another wine, but also saw some floating strawberry seeds, thought what was at the top was from the strawberries. However today, when I looked closer, saw that there were tiny little bubbles and some bubbles coming up the sides of the carboy. Not noticing (even after shaking the carboy) anything coming out of the airlock. Sorbate I got this past summer and has been in my wine room since. Both tasted it, didn't seem to tingle the tounge,,,so de-gassing issue??

I think just to make sure, rack into another carboy tomorrow and add some pot-meta and sorbate,,but at this point since I have done it already how much this time??

I won't add anymore k-meta or sorbate, go ahead rack and watch it for a few days.

i agree with julie, you don't want to add any more sorbate for sure and risk the bubble gum taste....just keep an eye on it for the next few days and actually take gravity readings....the readings will tell you if it's fermenting again or not....if they aren't dropping, and remain the same, them it's just a degassing issue...

Thanks all!! Will rack and keep checking the sg over the next couple of days,,knew I could count on help on here!!!

My strawberry/muscadine had a lot of co2 bubbles on the side of the carboy after sweetening. I was scared too. Mine ended up just needing a good stir to degas before bottling.

Latest posts

Back