Other White Merlot Kit Can't Be Done Fermenting Already!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryF

Reaction score
Okay, a couple weeks ago (+/-) I'd asked a question about recommendations for adding a cranberry flavor pak to a white merlot kit that I'd gotten a hold of. While I did not get responses on that, I now have an entirely new question about this same kit (Vino Italiano) that has me baffled and I don't want to proceed any further until I get some others' opinions.

I had an initial SG of 1.091 and after about 7 days, my reading was at 1.002 so I racked into my secondary. Now, only 17 days after starting, there has been no signs of continued fermentation and I have 3 successive days of reading 0.992. I have degassed 2X in the secondary during the interim. I was on the verge of going to the next step (stabilizing, clearing agents) when I started thinking that this was an awful fast ferment and would I really be done already? This Vino Italiano white merlot kit is not high-end and purported to be one of those so-called 28 day wonder kits. It has cleared almost completely already by just sitting so I am even undecided about even using the clearing agent additives. Of course, as per included instructions, I am prepared to rack it off, stabilize and add the clearing agents before letting it sit, but I'm too surprised at how quickly the full fermentation was completed.

Jerry :dg

Jerry,
Thanks for being very thorough with details, fermenting to dry in 17 days is fine, fermented to.992 is about as complete a fermentation as you will get, and the fact that you were able to verify this over three days is perfect!
I would proceed to stabilize with meta, if you aren't planning on back sweetening the wine, I would not add the sorbate that is included in so many kits. As for clearing, I haven't used fining agents on many, if any wine in a long time, I do tend to filter my whites before bottling.

I think you'd be surprised how many fermentations are complete (or close) within 2 weeks. I've seen wines ferment to dryness in five days. It depends on factors like the yeast and temperature as well as things like nutrient levels. I would say you're safe to proceed.

Latest posts

Back