STRAWBERRY /RED GRAPE WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Started a batch of STRAWBERRY/RED GRAPE WINE 3 days ago....I use pretty much the same recipe as the Raspberry/Red Grape Wine I started last week...

20061015_180021_STRAWBERRY_WINE.jpg

RECIPE

OCT 12th

11 QUARTS STRAWBERRY JUICE..[ABOUT 24 POUNDS...STEAM EXTRACTED]S.G. 1030
[IT GETS ALOT OF STEAM VAPORS FROM THE JUICER, SO IT GETS A BIT DELUTED...BUT YOUR GOING TO ADD WATER ANYWAY]

2 1/2 BOTTLES WINEXPERT RED GRAPE CONCENTRATE [S.G.1060]

6 TSP ACID BLEND

3 TSP. PEPTIC ENZYME

4 TEASPOON LIQUID TANNIN

8 1/2 POUNDS SUGAR

6 CAMPDEN TABLETS

WATER TO 6 1/2 GALLONS....[S.G. 1095]

OCT. 13th

6 TSP. YEAST NUTRIENT

3 TSP. YEAST ENERGIZER

2 PKG. LALVIN RC- 212

THIS YEAST TOOK OFF LIKE CRAZY...SUCH A STRONG BUBBLY FERMENTAION....DON'T THINK I HAVE EVER HAD A WINE START SO FAST AND VIGOROUS......HOPE THIS YEAST WORKS OUT....ALWAYS NERVOUS TO TRY SOMETHING NEW...

THE HOUSE SMELLS AWESOME...FIRST YEASTY, THEN SWEET AS STRAWBERRIES....TONIGHT IT IS STARTING TO SMELL LIKE WINE ALREADY....

GOING TO TRY A FEW TOASTED OAK CHIPS IN THIS BATCH TOO....THE LAST BATCH WAS VERY NICE, SO WILL SEE IF THE DIFFERENT YEAST AND OAK MAKES IT EVEN BETTER...

SO MANY SONGS ARE WRITEN ABOUT STRAWBERRY WINE....IT IS TRUELY GREAT...WE LIKE A DRY RED WINE...WITH A HINT OF FRUIT

WILL UPDATE LATER....
Edited by: Northern Winos

That juice looks awesome as does the raspberry one. Now come the "fruits" of your labor of summer in steaming all those bottles of juice. Things sure smell great from here - just wish I was a little closer to get a real whiff. I think you will like the RC-212 - it makes a nice ferment and really accentuates the fruit flavors and smells. I hope the oak turns out great for you too.
smiley4.gif

At the end of the canning season I was down to 3 quart jars.....have lots of empties now.
Got some frozen ChokeCherries in the freezer....those are going to go straight from the juicer into the primary fermenter next week....Kind of the same recipe.....kind of in a pattern here with my wine recipes....we seem to prefer red wines...tho we are 'disposing' of the other wines in the cellar too....
smiley1.gif

Hey when theyre good theyre good right. If the recipe aint broke dont fix it.

Racked the Raspberry/Red Grape, Strawberry/Red Grape and the Chokecherry/Red Grape wines on Sunday...they sure are clearing nicely and nice and dry....used a new to me..[diffrent yeast] this time...RC 212...tastes very nice....

This is the Strawberry/Red Grape...Very dry, but yet has that sweet strawberry flavor...

Picture004Small.jpg
Edited by: Northern Winos

Again, Great job. I love the color that it maintains. Do you atribute any of that to steaming your fruit? Same with clearing? Does the Red grape juice atribute any color to the end product? It seems you used it in all three wines you have, yet all three have a different color tone to them.

They look great! I wish I was your neighbor.........

Latest posts

Back