Strawberry Breeze Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That makes sense. If I add the concentrate now I will be ok wont I. I'm at 1.010

Thinking about adding 2 or 3 cans. Will this bump the alchohol up 1 or 2 %?

Last edited:
Went ahead and added (3) 12 ounce cans of strawberry breeze concentrate. SG went from 1.010 to 1.0175 (I don't know if that's how you would read that?)

Doesn't have much a strawberry taste to it but I'm guessing the sugar will bring it out. Couple more days and I will rack, degas, sorbate, sparkolloid, etc.

Thanks for the help.

The pee is down to under 1.000 I racked it into a carboy. There was a little left over in the bucket so I put a little in a cup and tasted. Yuccckkk. Sour. Added a dash of sugar. Not bad. Added another dash. Yummmmm. This is some good stuff.

Here's my question for the day. Can I degas, add the kmeta, sorbate, and let them kill the yeast. Then add a little more concentrate. Wait a few days to make sure it isn't fermenting and then add the sparkaloid?

strawberrylemonade.jpg

The pee is down to under 1.000 I racked it into a carboy. There was a little left over in the bucket so I put a little in a cup and tasted. Yuccckkk. Sour. Added a dash of sugar. Not bad. Added another dash. Yummmmm. This is some good stuff.

Here's my question for the day. Can I degas, add the kmeta, sorbate, and let them kill the yeast. Then add a little more concentrate. Wait a few days to make sure it isn't fermenting and then add the sparkaloid?

Sure, should work just fine. Arne

Thank you. I degassed and sorbated\campden tablets today. I'm going to let it sit a week or so and then add some more concentrate and sugar to taste. Then clear.

I degassed by putting a plastic bag over my hand and shaking the carboy on the floor. For about 20 minutes. Hopefully I got most the gas out but there was still bubbles so I don't know. I'm going to have to buy a attachment for my drill because that wasn't fun at all.

Started the Blueberry Pomegranate today. I added 2 cans of concentrate up front along with 14 cups of sugar. I will add another can or two of concentrate after the yeast is dead. The blueberry pomegranate concentrate taste much better than the strawberry breeze.

I think I'm addicted and my first batch isn't even done yet. Going to make the original pee on the next batch. Bottling 15 gallons of Catawba and 5 gallons of Niagara this weekend. Need the carboys!

I think I'm addicted and my first batch isn't even done yet. Going to make the original pee on the next batch. Bottling 15 gallons of Catawba and 5 gallons of Niagara this weekend. Need the carboys!

I know the feeling. We started the second 5 1/2 gal. batch eleven days after the first batch, and started 15 more gallons last night. This will make 25 gallon since the 3rd of March. Of course we've had a lot of help drinking it. :d Our friends all love this stuff. I've never seen anything disappear this fast. :dg Got a feeling we'll be doing 55 gallon barrels before the summers out. lol

I bet RealLemon sales are through the roof thanks to you Lon! lol

I was working out of town all week. Got home tonight and the SG was still the same after sorbating and adding 5 crushed campden tablets.

1 problem. It smells very bad like sulfur\rotten eggs. :slp

I went ahead and added 2 more cans of concentrate and 4 cups of sugar. The wife and I both they it taste great once we get past the taste and the bubbles. I degassed Sunday using the shake the carboy method. Well last night I ordered a fizz-x. My plan is to let this stuff sit until the fizz x arrives. I will degas and then add the sparkaloid. Can any of you please give me a idea of how to get this sulfur smell away? Should I splash rack it before I degas? I just really hope the smell doesn't stick. The stuff taste great.

I bet RealLemon sales are through the roof thanks to you Lon! lol

I was working out of town all week. Got home tonight and the SG was still the same after sorbating and adding 5 crushed campden tablets.

1 problem. It smells very bad like sulfur\rotten eggs. :slp

I went ahead and added 2 more cans of concentrate and 4 cups of sugar. The wife and I both they it taste great once we get past the taste and the bubbles. I degassed Sunday using the shake the carboy method. Well last night I ordered a fizz-x. My plan is to let this stuff sit until the fizz x arrives. I will degas and then add the sparkaloid. Can any of you please give me a idea of how to get this sulfur smell away? Should I splash rack it before I degas? I just really hope the smell doesn't stick. The stuff taste great.
My best advice is invest in lemon futures. Maybe ReaLemon will hire me as a spokesperson just like when Subway hired that Jared guy. I've been sittin by the phone, it hasn't rung yet.

Rotten egg smell, huh? Are you sure someone didn't start hiding Easter eggs early this year? Maybe there's one at the bottom of the primary. :)

The smell will occur when the yeast are stressed. Either your batch got too warm, the acid was too high, your initial yeast were already in tough shape, or they didn't have the right amount of oxygen or nutrient at the right time. The sooner the better, splash rack. Pour is between a couple of buckets a few times. If this doesn't do the trick, you can stir it with a bit of clean copper wire and the copper will bind with the SO2. You may not get absolutely every trace of the odor out, but you can improve it to the point that it can be brew for yourselves.

Thanks Lon. I used EC1118 and followed the directions with yeast nutrient and etc. It fermented quickly. My guess is it wasn't lack of oxygen because when I degassed it, it got a lot of oxygen. I did some googling and seen that sometimes that smell forms when campden tablets are added...could that be it? Only other thing is I asked my wife to switch the brew belt from the carboy to my primary bucket which contains some fermenting blueberry pomegranite. But she got busy and forgot. It very well could of got up to 77-80 degrees for a few days I would guess.

I just splash racked it into a bucket and then back into my carboy. Ill check it tomorrow and splash rack again if necessary. Hopefully it goes away.

Checked the smell this morning. Still stinks. I did the splash racking again.

Has anyone ran into this with their skeeter pee after adding campden tablets? If you did, did it go away? Does fining help make the smell go away?

Well it still stinks. I'm hoping after I degas, add the sparkalloid, and wait a few weeks, the smell will go away.

Bottled some Niagara and Catawba last night. Needed the empty carboys!

bottledwine.jpg

Thanks Griff those are just local grape juice, sugar, and yeast.I let it clear and degas naturally. It taste very good. I'm just giving it away to friends when they want some.

Checked the smell this morning. Still stinks. I did the splash racking again.

Has anyone ran into this with their skeeter pee after adding campden tablets? If you did, did it go away? Does fining help make the smell go away?

campden itself does have a faint smell of sulfites, but it isn't the smell of sulfur dioxide. If you were getting lots of gas coming off during degassing, that is usually carbon dioxide, not oxygen. There is also some sulfur dioxide mixed in there (the offensive smell). If this were mine, I'd try stirring with the clean copper wire, it seems to have the most noticeable effect on eliminating the smell.

Thanks for the advice Lon I'll try that. The tricky part about this situation is that some things I read say it will go away with time, then other post I've read say to take care of this situation asap because the sooner you try to get rid of the smell, the easier it is.

Latest posts

Back