Strawberry Apple Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdGy

Junior
Reaction score
OK I finished my first "kit" Kiwi Pear and the lady of the house loves it, not to mention I do as well. The Riesling Wine is about to be bottled and multiple "kits" have been ordered. I feel it time to try again, after failing at Watermelon Wine
smiley19.gif

The following recipe I have modeled after wine kits and brief conversations with others. It is for 5 U.S. Gallons. Your comments and suggestions are welcome as to where I might be going wrong. Although I just started this today and it should be ready this spring.

For the Primary- 11/22/06 (5 to 7 days)
12lbs Frozen Strawberries
12lbs Corn Sugar (sorry George I couldn't wait for my shipment)
3 cans of Welch's White Grape Juice
2 1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
2 1/2 tsp Yeast Energizer
1 tbsp Yeast Nutrient
1 1/4 Wine Tannin
1 packet Champagne Yeast

I used a straining bag for the strawberries and squeezed the hell out of them almost until the fluid ran clear. I ended up with a SG of 1.016. Which should end up with a ABV of 15%.

I plan to rack off in 7 to 10 days to a 5 gallon carboy. After an additional 10 days I plan on adding the following after measuring the SG;
racking off 32 oz.
Mixing for 2 minutes then adding;
3 cans of 100% pure apple juice concentrate (Seneca)
4 oz. Glycerin
2 1/2 tbsp Potassium Sorbate
1 Packet of Superklein
And mix for another 2 minutes and allow to sit another 10 to 14 days. Then measuring the SG and checking for clearity.

So what do you think? I am wondering if the apple will over power the strawberry.

Ok I have some in house ( thanks to George & Mark) I didn't add any in the Primary yet. Can I add it if I need to in the secondary when I add all the other stuff? Edited by: EdGy

I would check the acid before you add any but if don't have one most fruit base recipes have 1 to 1 1/2 tsp.

<TABLE =table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" align=center>
<T>
<TR>
<TD =pageer vAlign=top align=middle>
<DIV align=center>
Strawberry Wine
transgrapes.gif
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>

Makes one gallon.

Ingredients:
<TABLE =table cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%">
<T>
<TR>
<TD>3-1/2 lbs. Strawberries (fresh or frozen)</TD>
<TD>7 Pints Water</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>2 lbs. Sugar</TD>
<TD>1 tsp Acid Blend</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>1/2 tsp Pectic Enzyme</TD>
<TD>1 Campden, crush</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>1 Pkg Wine Yeast</TD>
<TD>1 tsp Yeast Nutrient</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD>1/4 tsp Tannin</TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE>Edited by: Angell Wine

Is it too late to add the acid blend? I am thinking I should add 1tbs or the juice of 4 lemons when rack to the carboy.

You basically can adjust acidity at any time. Do you have the means of
testing acidity. I have the Titrates kit and it is cheap and easy. I
think it was like $6.

I have one, but I don't have much faith in it. As I don't understand the color change as to when it really stops changing. But non the less what Acid level should I try to achieve?

I would shout for.60. As for color change, it is right when the color
starts to change. Make sure you shake it well after introducing each
drop to declare the change in color. After swishishing it usually goes
back to original color until you reach the point where it doesnt. At
that point you have your mark.

Day 4 and it is really talking to me! I think this will be a 7 day primary stay. Thanks for asking.

It's truely a beautiful sound when you can rack off Mango Citrus Symphony and hear the Strawberry Wine echo "I am next". It's even better when your loved one ask's about brewing some beer during the wait! Life is good, no Life is GREAT!
smiley1.gif

Ok it ain't that beautiful! I had to fold clothes
smiley6.gif
But at least I did not have to do laundry
smiley1.gif
. Just make her beer andwine.
smiley9.gif
You should see her
smiley2.gif
she's mine!

She really doesn't need any ideas! Hence that is the reason for me making her the wine she likes.
smiley23.gif

smiley1.gif
Day 7 - Still in the primary fermenting away! It's down to burbing about every 3 seconds. I plan to rack it this Friday, taking a total of 9 days in the primary. Maybe to much sugar? Only time will tell. SG 1.016

Back