Strange Sediment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyclk

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post to this forum. I am hoping you guys can help me with this.

I started a gallon of Pineapple/Orange from frozen concentrate and after primary, there is a lot of weird, chunky sediment. Even after transferring into the glass carboy, there is a huge amount of sediment on the bottom.

Attached is a picture of the wine 24 hours after it was transferred into the secondary.

Does anyone have any idea what this sediment is and why there is so much, so soon? I have made other batches of wine from frozen concentrate with good results and never have seen this much sediment.

I have blogged about this batch of wine and other at ckirby.com/wine for more info on the batch of wine.

Thank you!!

IMG_0069.jpg

Last edited:
Each different fruit will have different levels of sediment and the pulpier the fruit the more sediment there will be. Yeasts can have a big to do with this also as some flocculate much more then others. Is this still fermenting? if not it may be time to rack off as you have quite a bit of solids and then can spoil.

I think you've come up with a recipe for home-made salmon eggs. Package those bad boys up and you can sell them to trout fishermen.

Latest posts

Back