straight watermellon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started mine this summer. I waited two years to make this. Missed the seeded watermelons. I only saw them once and by the time I went back....all gone.

I picked the strawberries in May I believe then the watermelon came next. Cut it up and froze it.

I have more watermelon in the freezer. It's so full you can't add a chiclet to the thing. Gotta get busy again and make more.

My watermelon now still has a nice pink color from the strawberries. Plan on back sweetening in early spring and bottling if it smells good. Time will tell.

Glad yours is coming along nicely.

me too

I also have more melon frozen and it looks like ill be making more. as of this morning, 09/20 its at 1.058 nice pink color too i put 5 lbs strawberries in with six gals. juice so the strawberry seems to be very prevalent so far we'll see how it turns out should be in the secondary bythurs. or fri. if all goes well

I stopped getting melons for my Watermelon wine, and started buying organic juice from my local grocery store. Saved me a ton of mess and work. (cheaper in the long run for me)

I done 15 gallons last year and 25 this year, it's one of the most popular wines I have in my collection. The only issue I ever had was waiting the aging time. Mine never tasted good till at least a year old. Now at 2 years it's Great.

Best of luck with you watermelon wine.

TJBryner

TJ...

Share you recipe??

A good strong start to the ferment has to be a good sign. Any kind of lag and it starts to rot, it seems.

Debbie

TJ...

Share you recipe??

A good strong start to the ferment has to be a good sign. Any kind of lag and it starts to rot, it seems.

Debbie

He is getting juice and it has already been processed, the grocery store would not be able to sell it otherwise. I know he is saying organic but that juice is not raw, it has been cooked and i bet sulphites in it or it would spoil sitting on the shelves.

Since it has been processed you make wine from it like any other juice.

I dumped my Watermelon Wine @ 14 months, maybe should have waited longer. It's the ONLY wine I ever dumped. Roy

My last batch I made I dumped around that time, waiting any longer would not have changed things. That was the only wine I dumped as well and the last time I made watermellon.

I've never seen watermelon juice. Our melons are cheap around here from roadside stands... I buy a lot of them on my way to work.

Debbie

TJ...

Share you recipe??

Debbie
5 gallons watermelon juice (Organic) around here they come in 1/2 gallons
2 1/2 tbsp yeast nutrient
2 1/2 tbsp Acid blend
2 tsp tannin
I used Lalvin RC212 the last time, Next batch I'm going to try Wyeast's Zinfandel and see how that goes.

I always go for close to 16% abv when I make it, When finished, Stabilize and I add 2 1/2 gallons of watermelon juice as a flavor pack.

AGE for at least 9 months, But is better at the 1 year mark and great at 2 years.

I have yet to have a batch smell or taste any were near ok when 1st done. It's more like dump it down the drain smell and taste. But always remember you can dump it 2 years down the road if it doesn't get better.

He is getting juice and it has already been processed, the grocery store would not be able to sell it otherwise. I know he is saying organic but that juice is not raw, it has been cooked and i bet sulphites in it or it would spoil sitting on the shelves.

Since it has been processed you make wine from it like any other juice.

They clam no preservatives and the only thing listed is water melon juice. Next time I pick some up I'll post the company that makes it.

We get from the local Wise store.

They clam no preservatives and the only thing listed is water melon juice. Next time I pick some up I'll post the company that makes it.

We get from the local Wise store.

Thanks, I am interested in the company. Not sure if sulfites are considered perservatives but I can't believe they don't have something in there to make sure it does not start to ferment.

pasturized

im sure the melon juice is pasturized. the apple juice i ferment in winter called simply apple and it ferments in about 2 days really, it goes off like a slow bomb because it has no germs or wild yeasts in it no preservatives shelf life is reletivly good some mild sacrifice to flavor but not enough to wine about, pun? ages approx. 6-8months and drinkable but better at 10 mos.

wow

wow yesterday morning 1.053, last night 1.030, this morning i sent to secondary at 1.015, smells awsome still workin hard blowing the water out of my galss air lock changed to a plastic one. at this rate itll finish soon

Thanks, I am interested in the company. Not sure if sulfites are considered preservative but I can't believe they don't have something in there to make sure it does not start to ferment.

This is the what I use for my watermelon wine. This one claims 25% watermelon juice, I asked the wife about it and we are both sure that it siad 100% on the last batch we bought. I wounder if they changed it to make it cheaper?

But it does not contain any preservatives, Contains citric acid , water, Sugar, watermelon juice, red grape, white grape.

Last edited:
thanks to all who fed me the advise on the watermellon wine i started last fall. it turned out great, i used 5lbs strawberries with 6 gals. of pure watermellon juice and it will get filtered today. and set aside to age. cheers

thanks to all who fed me the advise on the watermellon wine i started last fall. it turned out great, i used 5lbs strawberries with 6 gals. of pure watermellon juice and it will get filtered today. and set aside to age. cheers

I am glad it turned out for you, strawberry/watermelon wine is very good

Latest posts

Back