straight watermellon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david1

inthewind
Reaction score
Ive been reading watermellon threads and have discovered that there are some very mixed emotions about this watermellon wint thing. I am about to put 5 gallons of straight watermellon juice into the primary while following all of the unusual watermellon rules. I know im not reinventing the wheel but it seems it comes out to light when using water any body ever tried this? i could use some feedback

If you are not experienced... I don't think I would tackle it. Even the people that do make it good... they maybe only get 1 good batch out of 4. Not worth it to me!!

What is Roberts, WI near? I'm near Oshkosh.

Debbie

i hear ya

I hear ya, but i have been doin wine for about 3 yrs. i have done a lot of wine but thought id tackle one of the tougher ones to do now that i have 15 large mellons from the garden. the kids wanted to plant em so we did and got lots of em. thanks for the reply but i have to do it. i also noticed the other postings with info on watermellon, keep it cool i guess, ferment on the cool side. ill give it a shot the mellons cost about 79 cents to grow

Roberts

oops, yaaa! roberts is right on the border 10 miles east of hudson 30 miles east of the twin cities in mn. by the way ive been to omro thats close to oshkosh eh? did the jumpin out of a plane thing there

suggestions for watermelon

maybe i should be in the recipe area for this thread but im here now. anybody have any tips for watermelon juice wine making? im not new to wine making but im new to watermelon I understand one must keep the must cool thru the campden stage prior to ferment. also ive read to ferment cool around 68 deg f. will lalvin k1v1116 work at that temp ive always fermented at this temp to preserve flavor. any other ideas would be welcomed as ive learned a lot from all of you over the years.

I hear ya, but i have been doin wine for about 3 yrs. i have done a lot of wine but thought id tackle one of the tougher ones to do now that i have 15 large mellons from the garden. the kids wanted to plant em so we did and got lots of em. thanks for the reply but i have to do it. i also noticed the other postings with info on watermellon, keep it cool i guess, ferment on the cool side. ill give it a shot the mellons cost about 79 cents to grow

Lol don't blame, u never know it just might come out for u. Don't add any water but strawberries goes will with this and check ur acidu will probably need to add acid blend and nutrient and energizer make sure ur yeast starter is rolling pretty good

watermelon

thanks, i have to shoot for what? maybe, .55- .60 ? and i will add the strawberries to help add acid and flavor?

.55 - .65 is a good range. I added strawberries cuz the two flavors go well together

Ahhh... Omro is about 20 min from here!
Good to see another Wisconsinite here!
Good luck with the watermelon wine.

Debbie

thanks

I appreciate the well wishes and thank you theres no place like the badger state

yes but no

ya i squeezed and de seeded the melons by hand wound up with six gallons of yummy juice. i had to put it in the freezer because i was out of nutrient. had to order yeast and more bottles anyway just took it out and put in the fridge to thaw this morning. when the yeast and nutrient show up, and when the juice thaws ill give it a wirl. sounds like ill need all the luck i can get. ill keep ya posted thanks

David, I cut up my seeded watermelon and froze in gallon ziplock bags. Then I removed a few bags and let it thaw in a sealed bucket. As soon as space allowed I added more and resealed it. I did add strawberries to add flavor, color and acid, much needed for WATER-melon.

As soon as all of my fruit was thawed and reached 60 degrees I added pectic enzyme for 12 hours. Keeping a lid snapped on tight.

Then I added a yeast starter that was going really well and pitched that in and then placed the lid on loosely. Definitely add nutrients and keep it cool. Fill your primary as full as you can and stir often. I used Lalvin 1118

As it reached 1.000 I stirred it good releasing CO2 then immediately snapped on the lid with an airlock added and let it ferment dry. .990

I splashed racked, added sulfite and used sparkolloid to clear it. I used less sparkolloid than normal and had the wine high up in the carboy neck. Keep it cool but not cold. Warmth will clear a wine faster but there shouldn't be a lot of sediment in your wine.

After 6 weeks I racked it and it's aging now. It looks great. I'll let this bulk age at least a year, maybe more.

Hope your's works.

good plan

ive been reading about keeping the juice/must cool for the first 24 hrs. it also sounds like ill need to get the 1118 rockin pretty good prior to adding. ive always used a pretty hot yeast starter with some nutrient and sugar, seems to help all ferments. my " wine area" in the basement is approx. 64deg.f do you think this is too cold for 1118? or should i use the heat wrap @ 68? sounds like the most important thing is to keep the juice cool so as not to spoil it before ferment begins. and yes all ive read and heard is ADD STRAWBERRIES.

Get a good starter going and you should be fine. If the primary sits on a concrete floor put a board under it. Concrete sucks heat out of things. Your yeast will generate some heat so you could wrap a blanket around it.

This past winter a wrapped a blanket around 2 buckets and placed a 25 watt bulb in a utility lamp to add a little heat.

heat control

ya, thanks for the advice. i have a couple of temp controllers and wraps ive been using they work great and i always ferment on a shelf off the floor. do you think 68 deg.f is ok for watermellon?

ya, thanks for the advice. i have a couple of temp controllers and wraps ive been using they work great and i always ferment on a shelf off the floor. do you think 68 deg.f is ok for watermellon?

68 is great. Cool but fermentable.

68deg. it is

the 6 gallons of melon juice are in the primary along with all ingredients including 5lbs. strawberries. at 10:00 am 09/18 i'll pitch a healthy dose of 1118 @ 68deg.f and with a little luck things will start movin'. ive always used more fruit than needed , seems to add more fruit body and flavor. by the way, how old is yer w.mellon wine now, and how does it look as far as color?

all's good

Well, it would seem that the watermelon/strawberry is boilin real good goin as good as any other batch i've started. began at 1.093 corrected and 12 hrs laterits 1.078. temp steady at 67deg.f smells good looks good, fizzing real hard. Thanks for the tips goes out to all. now maybe in about 15 months i can taste it.

Latest posts

Back