Storing Wine Temp at Home

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineforfun

Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Tryi
Reaction score
I have done some searching on here but haven't found exactly what I was looking for. It sounds like 50-55 degrees is ideal to store your wine. I don't have an area to make a cellar, etc. Right now, I am just storing them in a closet in the basement (not sure, I would guess it to be 60-65 degrees). What would be the best way to store my wine? Do I need to buy something, build something, etc.?
Thanks.

While I have seen that 55 degrees F and 75% RH are the "ideal" temperatures and humidities in which to store wine, 60-65 degrees F would be just fine. Ohter important measures are to avoid UV light (and it sounds like you do in your closet) and vibration.

I'll add just a bit to Rocky's comments, which are right on.

Unless wine storage temperatures are critical to the wine, as with a valuable wine collection, wine will tolerate a temperature in the 60's with little impact over 1-2 years. Thus, my approach is to balance the practical aspects of wine storage, which is what you're doing - skipping $1,000 wine storage for $5.00 bottles of wine.

Three additional points. First, temperature variation is critical in wine storage and it's important to make certain the temperature does not fluctuate frequently. Second, make certain the area chosen is not subject to vibration, such as near air conditioning systems. Third, humidity is most important in cork maintenance rather than the wine, itself.

For many wine makers an area of their basement away from HVAC can work very well. My suggestion is to get an inexpensive climate meter that shows high and low temperature and humidity in order to determine with some certainty whether your location works.

BTW, the parameters above apply to storage and aging in general, irrespective of whether the wine is in a bottle, carboy, larger demijohn, or barrel.

Awesome, thanks both for the info. I am VERY new to this so am not planning on storing anything longer than a year or so right now...............however, that may change if my A.D.D. kicks in overdrive. :)
The closet I have them in stays dark and is under a staircase in the basement. I don't believe there is any vibration but will check when someone uses the stairs.

I worry more about changes in temp than actual temp. Changes in temp/humidity can expand and contract your cork. If it's not near a heating/cooling source, and near any extreme, your fine.

Back