Storing bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deemancpa

Junior
Reaction score
At what temp do you store your finished product? I have 1700 sq ft basement temp 73-76 year round. I have three wine coolers with capacity of 280 but they store my collection. Thoughts.

A stable temperature is always best. However, if you can get the temp down as much as possible, it will be even better.

I have found that in my basement, if I go to a closet whose outside concrete wall is up against the outside dirt and if I keep its door closed, the temperature in it tends to be 3 or 4 degrees F cooler than its surroundings.

I have thought about making an insulating blanket out of a sandwich of 2 cheep bed covers and some bubble wrap. I would keep the aging wine in that closet with the blanket thrown over it. I'll guess that will give me another degree or two of cooler temperature; it's just not very convenient. One could even make an insulating curtain (barrier) out of such material.

something you can do is get a 4'x8' sheet of styrafoam insulation the 2 in. blue stuff and build you a box of sorts around your wine you can even put hinges on it. I know I've seen it done. Or just insulate the closet with it, it works really good kinda like a cooler.

something you can do is get a 4'x8' sheet of styrafoam insulation the 2 in. blue stuff and build you a box of sorts around your wine you can even put hinges on it. I know I've seen it done. Or just insulate the closet with it, it works really good kinda like a cooler.

Styrofoam sheets should work really well. I would try to not insulate between the wine and the outside concrete wall, which is against the outside dirt. That wall will be your source of cold temperature.

If there is no source for cold, short of buying another expensive wine cooler, I wonder if a person couldn't pick up a small frig on Graig's List, take the frig's door off, and cut a hole in the Styrofoam box that fits the frig's storage area so it's exposed to the Styrofoam box's inside... This way it wouldn't have to be inside a closet. (Sorry, I'm always looking for cheaper ways of solving a problem! :d)

In the summer, my closet stays at around 68 F; in winter (we have cold winters), it stays around 56 F. Those temps are pretty constant, so as long as I don't have more than about 300 bottles aging, I am fine.

None of this is going to be very attractive, I know. :ib

A consistant temp. is good. If it were cooler your wine would age slower and last longer.

Instead of the fridge just get an air conditioner and a fridge thermostat.

I like the AC unit idea Wade.

My neighbors already think I'm nuts!! Wonder what they'd say when they see me running AC in the winter!!

Styrofoam sheets should work really well. I would try to not insulate between the wine and the outside concrete wall, which is against the outside dirt. That wall will be your source of cold temperature.

If there is no source for cold, short of buying another expensive wine cooler, I wonder if a person couldn't pick up a small frig on Graig's List, take the frig's door off, and cut a hole in the Styrofoam box that fits the frig's storage area so it's exposed to the Styrofoam box's inside... This way it wouldn't have to be inside a closet. (Sorry, I'm always looking for cheaper ways of solving a problem! :d)

In the summer, my closet stays at around 68 F; in winter (we have cold winters), it stays around 56 F. Those temps are pretty constant, so as long as I don't have more than about 300 bottles aging, I am fine.

None of this is going to be very attractive, I know. :ib

yeah you could make it where everything was insulated except the wall against the outsdie dirt,you can even get a can of liquid foam to seal it up in all the angles I know I've done this for other things it's actually pretty cool.

Latest posts

Back