Storage and Aging Limitations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Sudz
Reaction score
Okay, so I understand the basic requirements for aging one's wines with respect to temp, humidity, and no light. However, here in the flatlands basements are rare and we don't have one.

The best I can hope for is to maintain a fairly constant temp around 74-75*F. Everything I read says this needs to be 55 - 60*F.

With this limitation, am I wasting my time trying to make good wine?

I live in Texas so not a lot of basements here. My wine is in my closet in my home office. My house temp usually is 70-74 and I have no problems with my wines.

Okay, so I understand the basic requirements for aging one's wines with respect to temp, humidity, and no light. However, here in the flatlands basements are rare and we don't have one.

The best I can hope for is to maintain a fairly constant temp around 74-75*F. Everything I read says this needs to be 55 - 60*F.

With this limitation, am I wasting my time trying to make good wine?

You are not wasting you time at all. You have to make due with what you have and that's what you are doing.

Only someone with a very discerning palate would know the difference. Besides, few home wine makers allow their wine to age long enough for there to be a big difference. Should you want to age your wines for 4 or 5 years, you might have a problem.

Worse come to worse, you can buy a wine refrigerator, but I wouldn't worry about doing that unless you become a true connoisseur someday. ;)

Main thing is to keep the temperature as constant as possible. Constant cool in the winter, then, even though it maybe higher, a constant temp in the summer. The one move up and one move down each year will not be a big problem.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I can relax and put my time toward worrying about something real... :dg

Latest posts

Back