WineXpert Still not enough carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant

Reaction score
I thought that 4 carboys would be enough. Wrong, I just racked my WE LE Australian Gernache and want to start my WE International Chilean Cabernet Sauvingnon. We want to start bulk aging in the carboys so I need more. My wife suggested that we need two more. I would have been OK with one, but who's to argue. So I have:

WE- Vieux Chateau Du Roi - Bulk aging in Carboy
WE - island mist - just at secondary stage
WE - LE - Australian Verdeilho - ready for step 3 tommorrow
WE - LE - Autralian Grenache/Mourvedre - first rack to secondary tonight
WE - International - Chilean Sauvingnon - starting tonight

I just can stand having a kit waiting to start. But I think I will pick up the WE - island Mist - Raspberry Merlot and a WE - Stag for the next kits. I should wait until these are in bottles so I don't end up with even more carboys.

Thanks again everyone for all the help. Can't believe we have only been doing this for 5 months

Only 4 carboys lmeeko..what were you thinking !!!!
smiley36.gif

Imeeko - I'm in the same situation... only I'm at 3 and was thinking why will I need more.... well for the same reason as you.

I plan on only buying one more at a time. If I buy more than 4 I'll have to build storage shelves. (Hey, not a bad idea)

I know it won't be long before I have a half dozen.

What a cool hobby!

I have three 3-gallon, two 5-gallon, and a 6-gallon, not counting numerous 1- and 1/2-gallon carboys. The fives will work for kits too with the excess in 1 or 1/2 gallon carboysbut I find myself needing more threes for country wines and meads.

We have two kits in 6s and one empty 6. Its still not enough room to kick off a third or fourth kit because we are bulk aging the first one.

Having only done the two kits with one waiting, the rules of thumb so far taking into account two rackings at secondary seem to be this:

A. Running kits:
1 kit= 2 carboys
2 kits= 3 carboys
3 kits=4 carboys, and should be 5.

Depending on start times it seems likeit can get tricky at three if you don't have plenty of extras washed and waiting.

B. For every kit you decide to bulk age, you will need to add one carboy to the above.

C. I plan on two 3gallons and six 1 gallons in additon when we start on fruit sometime in the future. (two 3's will be needed for one kit of port, ice wine etc)

Beyond three kits I haven't thought about the timing/juggling curve, and its more than I want to consider right now.

these folks that have 8 or 10 also have the experience of which I have none.

On the other hand to the above, you could in theory get by with one extra 6 if you didn't bulk age or start more than one kit at a time and never another one till you had racked twice in glass.

Edited by: Mike777

before my birthday i had 4 carboy in glass and 1 in plastic.

the father of my lady gave me 2 more 23L carboy (mexican type 2)

now i have plenty to rack, bulk age, make wine so im happy with 6 carboy (for now)

But it takes a lot of space.

i think i should try to get a huge cork and a corker just to place them in the cellar on the side
smiley2.gif

just kidding!

i currently have 2 full carboy and 4 sitting there looking at me

i need to get my limited kits!

(i have 4 to pick up and one already in to start when i will be less tired

Coming up for production:

Cellarcraft Limited Febuary (stelenbosh south african shiraz)

Cellarcraft Limted March (2 latitudes merlot: Walla walla and Napa merlot)

Mosti Mondiale Meglioli Rojo Grande

RJSPagnols Bush vine grenache (need to try a RJ product once in my life)

and when i will have more cash...

Mosti Renaissance Rio Rojo ??

And 1 or 2 White kit

Must absolutely re-do

Cellarcraft Zweigelt

Cellarcraft LOVZ (or a Mosti renaissance Old vine Zin)

I have 4-6 gallons, 1-5 gallon, 8-1 gallons, 3 3 liters. Need more 6
gallon carboys for this year as Im noy playing around anymore. In about
2 weeks Ill be starting a Blueberry Pinot Noir, a Watermelon White
Merlot and 2 Cru Select Red Ice Wines combined to make a 6 gallon
batch, so there goes 3 of those carvboys right off the bat and I
already have a Gewurtztraminer that is clearing now that will bulk age.
I have to bottle my Barolo,Raspberry, Oaked White Welches and my
gallon of watchamacallit this weekend.The watchamacallit is a blend of
run-off of Black currant, Cherry, Raspberry, and Orange-Strawberry
Banana. This batch was inspired by Waldo who did something similar last
year. I had all those different wines in 750 bottles with airlocks on
them when Waldo said he was bottling his and I said what a great idea
and went ahead and dumped them all together. I have not tasted it as of
yet so it is a mystery!

I remember a thread that had a quote from Tim V. from Winexpert which said there is little benefit to bulk age wines from their kits. I'm sure bulk aging will help scratch wines, but I'm interested to hear if anyone has made a comparison between a bulk aged kit and one they bottled per the instructions.

I've been following the instructions on the kits under the assumption it would not make a difference in the end, but feedback from the forum would surely help me decide if I need to place a "bulk order" for more carboys.

Is there a difference or is it just preference? For me the bottles are easier to store (and to taste along the way).

Thanks!

GrapeApe.

Ive always gone by what the more experienced people do and say. I would
imagine an oak barrel would definetly enhance any wine and have not
seen that article by Tim V. I know its easier not to drink the wines
too early being in a carboy and that after a few months there is no
sediment left to worry about coating the bottom of my bottles and that
there is less gas. Ive had a few batches bottled on their due dates per
instructions and coat my bottles with sediment. I guess filterering
would probably solve that problem and I now own a gravity filter. I
also know that if kept in a atmosphere that the temp is not consistant,
being in bulk will greatly help the wine age properly as it takes alot
more to change the temp of 6 gallons vrs. 750 ml. After that, I would
say that it will help put a little age on it before corking if you plan
on aging long term as most corks are only rated for about 2 or 3 years
unless your getting the premium corks.

As usual, you make a lot of sense, Wade. So the next question is how long is long enough before bottling and is there a point where bulk aging has a negative effect?

Here's the link to Tim's article. Interesting read.

http://winemakermag.com/departments/468.html

I'll be the millionth to say it...this is an awesome forum!

Thanks.

GrapeApe.

I've got 8 6g carboys (only 7 in use at any one time), 4 3g carboys (again only 3 in use at any one time), and 3 4l carboys. I always keep one open and ready soI can rack when ever needed. I've heard carboy aging is good forthe followingreasons 1: keeps a more uniform temp as Wade mentioned, 2: allows for a more consistent end product, 3: is harder to drink early (hence adding age before it's bottled), 4: allows the wine to clear completely, and 5: allows more time for degassing naturally.

I think the quick kits (Island Mist for example) do not benefit in terms of taste from bulk aging, but they do clear better. I think the Vintner Reserve benefits from a few (~2) months. I believe that for the other kits from WE (the mid to high end)that 3 months of bulk aging gets them up into the right "taste range". I've also read that there is no benefit beyond 2 years, not that they won't last longer.

Disclaimer: I have an undeveloped palate and I like what I make; also, rarely will any wine make it beyond 6 months in a bottle at my house (I guess I should say, none have yet).

lmeeko,

I wish you were much closer. We could definitely have some fun. You should have everything you need close by, but if there is anything I can do to help, please give me a call.

Yes, grant ( Imeeko) is really starting off with a bang here. By the
way Grant, my birthday is the 24th but 1970. Strength to the Taurus!

My oldest boy Shawn (27 this year) B-Day is on the 24th also.

Ya only 18 days until B-Day, will be 47. I have a meeting in the morning and then will most likely bottle alittle wine in the afternoon. At least I have priorities.

Grant

Hopefully all goes well in my basement and I can start a few batches after work.

Wow. Alot of bull here. May 8, 1953.

For me, it is not so much the number of carboys, it is space!!! I'm thinking it's time I cleaned up my home office to make room for bulk aging.

Edited by: PeterZ

Back