Sterile filtering to remove cream of tartar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We are sterile filtering ( .45 micron) & bottling 10 gals of 2014 Peach wine today. Will also use the $14 filter to filter Mango & cranberry. The cranberry's ph was 3.05, so I hit it with 1/4 tsp of acid reducing crystals, pot bi carb. Directions say to cold stabilize for 30 days to remove cream of tartar crystals. Will the .45 micron filter remove the cream of tartar? THe pot bi carb has only been in the wine for 2 days, probably not long enough. Or should I try & cold stabilize too. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Roy

The main acid in cranberries is citric acid. They also contain malic acid. There isn't any tartaric acid so you won't have any potassium bitartrate produced. Cold stabilization won't help out here as the potassium citrates and malates are soluble.

It is best to cold stabilize to ensure crystallization of the tartrate and to allow settling. If you filter now, some dissolved tartrate will pass the filter and crystals will form in the wine later in bottle. You also risk plugging the filter element if you attempt filtration now without settling.

Greg, the acid reducing crystals I used said cream of Tatar will form & I should cold stabilize for 30 days to remove the crystals.
Steve, I got the filters from McMaster-Carr. But they are .35 micron, not .45. Think I'll sterile bottle - rack all but the cranberry, which I'll cold stabilize.
Thanks for the quick responses. Roy. Ps type of filter is high capacity 10" .35 mic # 45235K94, $13.45 ea.

Last edited:
My mistake, Greg is correct, if there is no tartaric acid in the wine, then tartrates will not form.

Ok, think I have a plan now. I'll filter, bottle everything, then lastly I'll filter, rack the cranberry & let it sit for another 3 ish months. I'll check ph in another week & see if my adjustment did any good. Thanks. Roy

Greg, the acid reducing crystals I used said cream of Tatar will form & I should cold stabilize for 30 days to remove the crystals.
Steve, I got the filters from McMaster-Carr. But they are .35 micron, not .45. Think I'll sterile bottle - rack all but the cranberry, which I'll cold stabilize.
Thanks for the quick responses. Roy. Ps type of filter is high capacity 10" .35 mic # 45235K94, $13.45 ea.

Thanks for your response -

Those are the ones that I suggest as well - they are very reasonable for the price.

Just finished bottling the first carboy. The .35 filter worked perfectly, first time I ever used this fine of a filter. Trust my Peach wine will be crystal in years to come. It was that way before bottling! Roy

Yes, these instructions are correct for GRAPE wines. Cranberries don't have tartaric acid, so no tartrates will be produced.

Greg, thanks again, after reading ur previous post a third time I realized what U were saying. I will check PH in a few days & see if the acid reducing crystals did anything to raise my cranberry's PH. Roy

Doug, I have been asking myself that also. I filtered my Cranberry with a .35 micron filter, see no diff in taste, color etc. Looks a tad clearer, but it was very clear before. After 3 days from putting in the acid reducing crystals the PH only went up .002. Was expecting a bigger increase. Will check again in 2 weeks. If no increase will try again, or something else.Roy

OK, C mason & others, what can I do to raise the PH of my Cranberry Wine? Don't want to dilute it. Just wnt to lower the PH So it's not do tart. We are OK with the taste as it is, BUT, think it would be much better if it wasn't soooo acidic. Roy

FTC you can blend it with another wine with less acid. If it was mine I would just add additional sugar to balance out the tartness. It will come across as being more balanced rather than too sweet due to the sugar increase.

Thanks, we will do some bench tests & try back sweeting. We have been trying to make all our wines drier, but maybe Cranberry should be an exception. It's mostly for Thankgiving anyway, where many like a little sweeter wine than we do. Roy

Back