WineXpert Step 3...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovinewines

Reaction score
Okay..tomorrow is day 10 for my VR Riesling kit.
Based on the instructions (I know...I'm lame...I read instructions...but its my first...!
smiley2.gif
) I'm supposed to take a reading and have the SG stable two days in a row.

So on Friday, if all is stable..and I suspect it is, I'm going to be adding the metabisulphite and sorbate. It says to do this in 1/2 cup of cool water...is that prefered to removing 1/2 cup of the wine and blending it there and adding back to the carboy?

I think I ended up making either 5 gallons or 5 1/2 gallons. Do I consider topping up at this point? Based on what I'veread I can use a commercial rieslingto do this but I want to make sure I'm adding it at the right time.

20070926_160146_VR_Day10.JPG

Finally (I know..I'm full of questions this evening!) is this a time to "try" the wine or am I better off waiting for this next two week period?

Thanks again for everyone's patience as this newbie finds her way through this first batch!

Seeing as how low you are in the carboy it would be safe to say that it was short of some water in the beginning due to inaccurate primary bucket as I have this problem once in a great while to( I think thats the problem but never have this problem with any other brand kits or fruit wines and my SG is always on target
smiley5.gif
)but anyway, it is safe to add this minuscule amount of water for the meta addition or you can use your wine or even the commercial wine that you will be topping up with. The point is to make sure that it gets stirred in and not just dumped in as sometimes this will just sit on top like an oil spill. Once fermentation is complete i the time to top up as this is when the gases are not given off any more and can be replaced by unwanted O2 which will oxidize your wine. As for tasting, you can taste then but dont expect it to be great at this point as it really needs time to age. This aging period will help the wine gain its complexity, smooth out its harshness, and let its bouquet come forward.

One thing missing that I believe is due at this point is major degassing. WE has you degass for 5 minutes before adding the chemicals. If you don't, it won't clear properly sometimes and you could end up with a gassy wine.

True, you didnt mention the fining agent and the wine must be thoroughly degassed before fining or the wine will not clear properly. I hoe you at least have a drill mountable stirring device or brake bleeder, preferably both. When you go to stir this start very slow and stop, then start again or you will get the VOLCANO!!!!!!! </font></font>

Yes...I have the drill and the attachment. What is this "brake bleeder" I've seen mentioned?

I'm assuming this is something you would use to bleed brakes (doh!); I'm assuming you use this to remove the "bubbles" of foam that comes up from the degassing of the wine... Would a turkey baster work? Slow...but effective?

No, a baster wouldnt work! Some people use a Vacuvin which works and some people use a foodsaver which will work also but heard it will burn out the motor. It creates a vacuum(suction)

What about one of those "injectors"...you know..the kind you would use to inject seasonings "into" a turkey.

They pretty much work like an oversized hyperdermic needled and the object is to remove the foam that gets created from this stirring right?

The injector will not work either! You have to be able to keep sucking air until there is a sufficient vacuum built up in there and neither of those 2 items will create enough vacuum without losing to pump again. You are looking for about 20-25" of vacuum and that is way more than you would be able to get out of those.

You know if you are very patient time will do the job also but that will take at least 6 months if not more. You do not need the bleeder, it just helps. You do not want to bottle a wine with gas still left in there as it will never escape and you will have fizzy wine.

Thanks for the advise Wade...great info! Guess we'll see how all this goes tomorrow night.

smiley1.gif

Okay...so now that I've read more about a break bleeder and I think I have more information.

A break bleeder basically creates a vacumn which then pulls the CO2 out right?

I ended up getting some "oil pump" thinking what I was trying to do is pull out the foam that gets created using the drill stir.

So what I'm doing is I've got the drill bit stirrer (is that a word?). Do I want to use the "pump" to pull the foam or do I simply drill, let rest, drill, let rest, drill, etc.

As low as your level is in that carboy I really don't think you are going to have any problems with it foaming over if that is what you are referring to. If it does get close you can use the turkey baster you mentioned to suck up some of the foam. Just be sure it is sanitized. If it has ever been actually used on a turkey, I wouldn't use it though.

That is correct, it pulls the C02 out by vacuum. you will not need that pump and advise not to use it. You should not need the baster either but can use it instead of a wine thief as it is actually easier to clean and cheaper, but like smurf said if it has been used I would advise against.

Quick question, what exactly is a brake bleeder and how do you use it in this process? I'm just kinda confused on that part.

Thanks.

<center>
MITYVAC VACUUM PUMP</font>

<table border="0">
<t><tr>
<td>

39522.gif

</td>
</tr>
</t></table>

</center>

<h2>
MAKES BRAKE-BLEEDING A ONE-PERSON JOB!</font></h2>
This tool has many fittings and a few of them either fit right into the hole in your bung or there is a rubber plunger looking object that I use. This tool creates a vacuum that after stirring with the mix stir will help you greatly in releasing the gas out of your wine. Time will do this in most cases but in my opinion is a conflicting argument. Science has proved that gas is released much easier at warmer temps like around 75* but keeping a wine for that long at that temp is really not a great idea unless you have no choice and in that case its good enough. Degassing a wine like that will also require about 1 year in a carboy and I really dont have enough carboys to spare to not need 1 by then either. Many people do it this way and great for them but I will get the gas out quicker bulk age for 3-4 months to make sure there is no more sediment dropping and get it in the bottle and into a better temps.

Latest posts

Back