Quantcast

Steamer caution(?)

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

PPBart

Reaction score
I've been doing some research on making port-style wines and in browsing thru my a copy of Winemaking by Stanley & Dorothy Anderson I noticed this cautionary note in the introduction to the section on "Berry Wines":

"Do not use a steamer to extract juices because steaming oxidizes juice."

The book is copyrighted 1989, so I wonder if that warning refers to the steam juicers we have available today(?)

Tom

Reaction score
Dont worry about it.
After steaming I usually "can" the juice. It cant oxidize at thie stage. Enev if you ferment right away its to hot to oxidixe. I say trash that and forget abouta it.

Luc

Dutch Winemaker
Reaction score
I use a steamer myself sometimes and agree with Tom.

Just make sure you double or triple the amount of pectic enzymes as steaming will release a lot of pectine which can make the wine difficult to clear.

Luc

PPBart

Reaction score
I use a steamer myself sometimes and agree with Tom.

Just make sure you double or triple the amount of pectic enzymes as steaming will release a lot of pectine which can make the wine difficult to clear.

Luc
Hmmm... wish I'd known about increasing the PE earlier...

I borrowed a juicer recently from a friend to try it out. Of course, I didn't have any fruit handy. Local Walmart had Bing cherries on sale for a good price, so I bought about 7 lbs; also bought 12 lbs of red delicious apples from a local fruit stand. I got about 3.5 ltrs juice from the apples and a bit over 1 ltr from the cherries. After some testing/tasting I decided to blend the apple and cherry together for a small wine batch. Primary fermentation went well, and it's now in secondary -- airlock still burping every minute or so -- and it seems to be dropping a lot of sediment. I'll probably leave it in secondary for a few weeks, then rack to a clean carboy.

I added 2 tsp of PE to the original (~5.5 ltr) batch. Should I add more now, or perhaps when I next rack?

BTW -- I recently retired after ~24 years working for DSM. I've been to the Netherlands many times, always enjoyed the country and people.

Mud

Unfunny
Reaction score
Sure. More pectic enzyme will be just the thing.

Latest posts