Steam juice or not?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike93YJ

Reaction score
I have a recipe for tomato wine that says to cut the tomatos into small pieces and put them in a straining bag. Couldn't I juice them in my new steam juicer, instead? If so, should I put the pulp in the bag, or just use the juice by itself? This will be the first time I've used a steam juicer, not too sure what to expect!:a1

Have you had this before.. since its mostly water I would just add it to a straining bag with PE. I doubt you will like I. How hoch you making

Who knows..

I just might make a good spaghetti sauce.

it is a fine cooking wine, also verry good in a home made salid dressing. I have a steam juicer and use it on most every thing except tomato just cut place in strainer bag with pectic enzime and let her go. By the way you will loose all of the red color as it falls clear.

Just cut them up and let the pectic enzyme do it's thing for a day before adding yeast. Just like Tom said. Make it easy on yourself.

I found the recipe in "The Home Winemaker's Companion" by Gene Spaziani.

Pink Wine from Fresh Tomatoes

Yield 5 gallons

17 pounds tomatoes
2 1/2 pounds raisins
4 gallons lukewarm water
7 1/2 pounds sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons grape tannin
7 teaspoons acid blend
5 teaspoons yeast nutrient
Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast
5 Campden tablets

I noticed it doesn't call for pectic emzyme. Thinking I might use some anyway.
Also, the Campden is used only when racking into secondary and subsequent rackings. Shouldn't the must be sterilized with Campden or boiling 24 hours before pitching yeast?
I'm going to go the easy way and cut the tomatoes and put in straining bag, not going to use the steamer juicer, per the advice here. Thanks!
Since it's called "Pink Wine from Fresh Tomatoes", I hoped it would turn out as a blush. Kinda concerned now since corntassel says the color will fall out. Any ways to keep the color, or get it back, if it does fall out?

Latest posts

Back