Started my Second Batch Of Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you want to degas and add your K-meta & sorbate before you back sweeten. But as long as your sure its done fermenting you can degas K-meta & sorbate then back sweeten.
How many times have you racked this? If you are planning on bulk aging for 6 months or so you could just let it clear naturally.

you want to degas and add your K-meta & sorbate before you back sweeten. But as long as your sure its done fermenting you can degas K-meta & sorbate then back sweeten.
How many times have you racked this? If you are planning on bulk aging for 6 months or so you could just let it clear naturally.

Thanks! I have racked twice.

hehe... You have the same excitement that I do when I begin new ferments, it never gets old!

I have one big problem right now, two 5 gallon buckets and two 5 gallon carboys empty and I can't decide on the wine I want to make!

I had a very nice tasting wine (blackberry merlot) didn't have the bottle on hand so I couldn't see the ABV but I think it was a sparkling and tasted SOOO good however i think it's one of those wines that are really low like 6.0% since I couldn't even tell there was alc in there. But if this was around 12% and it tasted like that i would be in trouble if i can brew something that damn good.

I wan to make a blackberry now but it's not in season and have no idea where to buy them. The dole.com website says the carry frozen blackberries but I haven't actually seen them in stores (only blueberry, strawberry, mixed fruit). I may just have to call them and find out if they can tell me anything about where these 5-30 pound bags are located.

So what do you think your next wine will be? :)

why don't you see about buying a juice concentrate? Either one of our sponsors has juice concentrates that you can buy.

Thanks Julie,

I'll have to try using that juice sometime I do have a mixed berry that im working on right now hope it turns out OK :)

I noticed today that my black currant has some sediment on the bottom of the carboy and was thinking I should rack again as I'm letting it clear on its own. Should I rack again and if so I have some extra to top my wine off with from last racking but was wondering if I didn't have quite enough what type of store bought wine to top with?? Has anyone ever topped with a like homemade wine??
Thanks for the help
Tina

I may not have the best answer however I sure others will correct me soon if I am wrong.
Is this your first racking since you added K-sorbate and K-meta? If so then I personally would rack it since it has been about 3+ weeks since you have stabilized. After that I would let it go for about 3 months or so to the next racking where then you will probably need to add some more K-meta

:u
Thanks Duster! I did rack and topped off with like wine on January 9th, 2011. I plan to let it age and clear for about 3 months! Looks, taste and smells good so far:)

Last edited:
:u It has been three months since my last racking! Racked today and wine taste and smells wonderful and has cleared nicely! I have added more k-meta and plan to bottle in a few days!!

I had a very nice tasting wine (blackberry merlot) didn't have the bottle on hand so I couldn't see the ABV but I think it was a sparkling and tasted SOOO good however i think it's one of those wines that are really low like 6.0% since I couldn't even tell there was alc in there. But if this was around 12% and it tasted like that i would be in trouble if i can brew something that damn good. :)

The wine you had is probably something similar to the Mist kits - they are a lower alcohol and easy drinking. When I make them I add 1/2 the f-pack in the beginning and boost the starting sg to about 1.085....gives it a bit more punch and prevents me from drinking too many bottles in one shot:d Even with using part of the f-pack in the beginning I find there is more then enough left over for sweetening at the end. The wine still tastes very balanced also....one of my favourites

Black Currant is one of our favorites!!
I made skeeter pee from it (Black PEE)... it's wonderful!!

Debbie

Deb. that sounds wonderful! Black Currant is also my fav. Its why I have 18 bushes in my yard.

We don't have black currants around here... and I have a small city lot that is crammed already!!
Skeeter Pee... after a year in the bottle... takes on a WHOLE NEW FLAVOR... it's amazing!!

LUCKY you!!

Debbie

Really Deb? I was wondering myself if SP gets better with ageing. I have been told it does not change with age. I would be interested in hearing what you think the change was...Thanks!

Wow, that is interesting. I have had sp that I used an elderberry slurry for a year and it tasted the same as when I bottled it. Wonder if it has something to do with the fruit or maybe how big the slurry is.

I taste some "bitterness" from the lemon in the beginning... but after a year or more... it is just "lemon" without the bitter. And just like any wine, that harshness is gone and the whole thing is smoother tasting.
I make Elder Pee as well, and I like it fresh... then it seems to go to a place I don't like as well for 6 mos... then it comes around again at about a year.
Fun to watch the taste change!

Debbie

Back