Started my first batch of wine today!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fedoradude

Reaction score
Hi. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this.

I used a winexpert Cabernet Sauvignon kit ingredients and may have made a newbie mistake and would like to know:

When mixing everything prior to the yeast addition, the temp of the juice and chem packet was round 80F. So I set the cover on it and we went out for dinner (3 hours).

Came back and left uncovered for about 30 minutes or so while I retested temps etc. And then added the yeast and covered and installed airlock.

I've read so much about minimizing exposure to oxygen during this fermentation etc process, I'm a bit gunshy. Did my leaving it for the 3 hours with the lid just sitting on it or having at uncovered the add'l 30 minutes screw anything or everything up?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Welcome to WMT and winemaking.

Leaving it with the lid loosely on should pose no problems, and while leaving the lid off for 30 mins probably did no harm, it's good practice not to do so. Things like fruit flies, and germy little creatures get in too easily to an open container.

The vast majority of us, but not all, don't start fermentation under an airlock, but simply with the lid loosely on or with a towel over the top of the fermenter.

When fermentation is nearly complete, and you've transferred to a carboy, air locks are a must!!

Whew! Thanks, John. Relieved to hear your opinion.

Re the airlock, there's a bung in the lid of the bucket, so I figured it probably needed plugged. Am I right? (I installed the airlock to plug that hole.)

When I use the lid with the hole in it, I usually just stick a twisted paper towel in the hole and forget about it.

Once fermentation gets rolling, the surface of your wine will be protected by a layer of CO2, which is expelled by the yeast as the convert your sugar to alcohol. When you start getting down to SG of 1.000, it gets a little more dicey as the CO2 production slows. Good time to go to carboy, although some folks do snap the lid down and add an airlock to finish up fermenting. Since this is your first, just follow the WE instructions, they'll get you home.

You can certainly stick an airlock in the hole to plug it, it probably looks a lot more professional than my paper towel!!

Last edited:
I almost always snap the primary lid down and use an airlock. Aside from the fact that this is what the kit instructions tell you to do, I've always felt it was the safest approach. We have a frisky 40 lbs dog and 4 grandchildren. With the primary sealed there is less worry about spillage or foreign object or bacteria/mold/wild yeast getting into the wine. The one risk with the airlock is that if you have a really active fermentation with lots of foam it can blow some of the foam out of the airlock and make a bit of a mess. We just started our 43 batch of wine today. I've only had this issue with two batches that were fermenting in a pretty warm room. One option is to place a cheese cloth or something over the hole and leave out the airlock for the first couple of days. That way worse case the foam just oozes out of the hole instead of blowing out under pressure. After 2 days if everything is under control you can put the airlock in to protect the wine. All of these approaches everyone has mentioned work. Just pick the one that makes the most sense to you.

I've read so much about minimizing exposure to oxygen during this fermentation etc process

You need only worry about oxygen exposure after you ferment. Oxygen in the beginning is needed by the yeast to populate your must to the density required for fermentation to start. So you are good to go.

Oh, and welcome to WMT!

I agree with ceeaton. Yeast needs O2 in order to reproduce. During lag phase (especially) O2 is important and beneficial.

I agree also. Oxygen is important to the ferment and to severely limit oxygenation can cause problems. Oxygen is used by the yeast for synthesis of sterols and unsaturated fatty acids necessary for its growth factors. Oxygen is important during the lag phase because the yeast is trying to become accustom to the wort and getting ready to consume the huge amounts of sugar.

Red wines like cab sav take a long time to smooth out and become drinkable. Usually a year or two. You might drink it at 6 months but it will be harsh. Get yourself a fast drinking kit like one of the Island Mist kits and start it next. These kits can be ready to drink in 2-3 months.

Thanks, everyone.

It's already percolating a wee bit, so we're underway. Woo hoo!

I'd been telling myself I would have to be patient before drinking it, but am sad to learn that Cabs take a long time in the bottle to smooth out, though. Dhaynes, is that a year from start or a year from when they are bottled?

Latest posts

Back