Star San for other household uses

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripplett

Reaction score
So I am new to the whole wine making thing but I picked up some Star San and I've been using it for sanitization for wine making. But, if this is such a good no rinse sanitizer, why can't I use it in a spray bottle for other things as well. Like spraying down the kitchen countertops or sanitizing the door knobs around the house? It's so cost effective I just had to wonder.

I can't say about other uses; it may dry out or stain, but again, I can't say.

It is sure nice for wine making. I keep a spray bottle of it handy.

I, however, always rinse it, anyway, as I just don't want anything in my wine but wine. :h

I use it often to sanitize cooking instruments or kitchen machines when I make cheese, sausages, tamales, pasta or any type of cooking or baking that I feel needs sanitizing, it is good to sanitize baby stuff like toys also...

As it doesn't have a surfactant in it it really does not cut grease or oil. If you were to mix in a drop of Dawn in a quart of Star San solution it would work as a disinfectant cleaner but not have too long of a shelf life. The acid in the Star San would react with the soap over night.

JMHO

RR

Latest posts

Back