Substitute for Star-San?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Engel

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Found Star-San at Amazon for a good price… cannot ship to my address. I found Star-san at other sites with shipping that costs more than the product! 😡 Any good substitute for it to use as the sterilizing solution?

Dave

There’s more than one way to skin a cat for sure, it isn’t the only sanitizer but IMO it has a lot of superior properties and is my go to sanitizer. I’d recommend mixing with t with distilled water, it has a near indefinite shelf life then, if stored properly.

Amen to that. That's how I use it. A little goes a long way, which makes a bottle last forever. 30 to 60 seconds and you're good to go.

There’s more than one way to skin a cat for sure, it isn’t the only sanitizer but IMO it has a lot of superior properties and is my go to sanitizer. I’d recommend mixing with t with distilled water, it has a near indefinite shelf life then, if stored properly.

As long as the PH is below 3.0, it’s viable.

PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) is a great cleaner for winery and brewery equipment. It's basically a similar chemistry to Cascade dishwasher powder or Oxyclean. You can make a very similar thing with 2/3 Oxyclean Free and 1/3 TSP90 (I think this is sodium metasilicate). It's an excellent cleaner, not a sanitizer.

PBW (Powdered Brewery Wash) is a great cleaner for winery and brewery equipment. It's basically a similar chemistry to Cascade dishwasher powder or Oxyclean. You can make a very similar thing with 2/3 Oxyclean Free and 1/3 TSP90 (I think this is sodium metasilicate). It's an excellent cleaner, not a sanitizer.

Looked up TSP90. Sounds like a strong industrial cleaner used before painting walls. Description below. I’m no chemist but sounds a bit caustic for wine bottles. Better to buy PBW or Oxyclean without TSP90.

TSP is ideal for cleaning surfaces prior to repainting. It is a heavy duty cleaner —removes grease, soot, mildew and other soils commonly found on walls, woodwork and other painted surfaces.
Cleaner and deglosser
Prepares walls and floors for painting or wall covering
Excellent for cleaning garage floors, interior walls and trim
Removes grease and wax quickly and easily
DO NOT USE ON GLASS, WINDOWS OR MIRRORS. MAY ETCH

Looked up TSP90. Sounds like a strong industrial cleaner used before painting walls. Description below. I’m no chemist but sounds a bit caustic for wine bottles. Better to buy PBW or Oxyclean without TSP90.

TSP is ideal for cleaning surfaces prior to repainting. It is a heavy duty cleaner —removes grease, soot, mildew and other soils commonly found on walls, woodwork and other painted surfaces.
Cleaner and deglosser
Prepares walls and floors for painting or wall covering
Excellent for cleaning garage floors, interior walls and trim
Removes grease and wax quickly and easily
DO NOT USE ON GLASS, WINDOWS OR MIRRORS. MAY ETCH

Note I was careful to say TSP90 which has nothing to do with TSP (tri Sodium Phosphate). TSP I think has been mostly removed from the market. The TSP90 is a substitute for TSP, but it's actually Sodium metasilicate, which has some of the desirable properties of TSP but isn't actually TSP, nor is it nearly as strong in it's action.

I think Red Devil who makes TSP90 wants to remind us it does some of the same job that TSP formerly did, but they chose a deliberately confusing name.

Latest posts

Back