Substitute for Star-San?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note I was careful to say TSP90 which has nothing to do with TSP (tri Sodium Phosphate). TSP I think has been mostly removed from the market. The TSP90 is a substitute for TSP, but it's actually Sodium metasilicate, which has some of the desirable properties of TSP but isn't actually TSP, nor is it nearly as strong in it's action.

I think Red Devil who makes TSP90 wants to remind us it does some of the same job that TSP formerly did, but they chose a deliberately confusing name.

Ok…I retract my statement but still wouldn’t feel comfortable using TSP90.

An industry point of view:
-Canned product has had enough treatment to kill 9 log of microorganisms (1000000000) ,,, ie everything in your food is dead!
-Washing in cold tap water physically will remove 5 log of microorganisms
-Using soap will remove or kill 6 log of organisms (1000000)
-Using hot water and soap will kill/ remove 7 log of microorganisms (10000000)
-Running a steam line in the machine without cleaning will kill 8 log of microorganisms (100000000)

The local winery will take the garden hose and clean till visible dirt is gone. ,,, Five %ABV will kill common food poisoning organisms.

Gut feel on my part is it is more important to minimize head space and keep free SO2 at 20ppm which exclude families that cause off flavors than to use Star San

Gut feel on my part is it is more important to minimize head space and keep free SO2 at 20ppm which exclude families that cause off flavors than to use Star San
My research on sanitizing brought me to the same conclusion -- K-meta, Star San, etc. are not strictly necessary. Standard cleaning does the heavy lifting, and as you say, K-meta and the ABV do a lot.

That said, I do sanitize as a final measure, as it may help and never hurts.

Latest posts

Back