best "generic" thing for stirring must?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wine newbee

Reaction score
I'm wondering what the best common household utensil/device/whatever there is I can use for safely stirring the must. My wine "mentor" used a canoe oar (!) which seemed to work OK enough. I don't have one of those, but ... is there some common, easily available thing around I could use instead? Something non-reactive, for example, and that I can reliably clean some with Star San? A big glass stirring rod, maybe? And if that'd work, where's the best place to find one?

Thx much for any feedback, suggestions, etc.....

Mitch

Got any big spoons in your kitchen?

Got a brew store nearby? Paddles and spoons can be had for under 5 bucks.

A Dollar Store?

Something 12 inches and longer would be good. And relatively strong since some caps can be thick.

Oh please don't use a glass stirring rod!!! If it breaks you'll have to dump the whole thing just to be safe.

Use your imagination, you'll find something. Non-reactive (no aluminum), non-porous, strong. Heck, worse case you could spray your arm with Star San.

What size vessel are we talkling about?

For punchdowns in a trash can or 55 gallon drum, I use a big potato masher purchased at a restaurant supply store.

Thx, guys. I have some big plastic ladles/spoons in the kitchen -- wasn't sure plastic would be a way to go. OK, the glass warning makes sense. I'd hope to not be heavy-handed enough to break it, but yeah, ya never know.
I may wander over to a dollar store tomorrow and see what they have. I guess it doesn't have to be rocket science, after all .....

Mitch

PS: while I'm at it -- this is going to be an Asian persimmon wine. Checking other posts from back-when, I see that somebody recommended using a lot of pectin enzyme. The "Korean persimmon wine" recipe I have only calls for 1/2 tspn, I think, so .... would there be any danger in adding more to the solution?

It's pretty darned safe.
I usually add a heaping measure to my batches.
It's very effective at what it does and the biggest drawback of adding too much is that it's a waste of money.

YES! glass is never used in food plants,
don't use a glass stirring rod!!! If it breaks you'll have to dump the whole thing just to be safe.
you'll find something. Non-reactive (no aluminum), non-porous, strong. Heck, worse case you could spray your arm with Star San.
stainless is best, plastic is next best, ,,, would you eat what was in it, Ex once I wanted to stir something deep so I used some CPVC water pipe. Traditional would be to use new wood but nothing treated. Copper brass and iron are reactive at wine pH and involved in off flavor chemistry.

To stir must in primary bucket I use surgical no powder gloves. I use one pair once and I throw them out. It's the best way to squeeze the fruit pack. Sometimes I use only one glove on one hand. I have a ton of gloves. Very safe to use.

YES! glass is never used in food plants,

stainless is best, plastic is next best, ,,, would you eat what was in it, Ex once I wanted to stir something deep so I used some CPVC water pipe. Traditional would be to use new wood but nothing treated. Copper brass and iron are reactive at wine pH and involved in off flavor chemistry.
perfect, Rice -- exactly what I was hoping to see ....

To stir must in primary bucket I use surgical no powder gloves. I use one pair once and I throw them out. It's the best way to squeeze the fruit pack. Sometimes I use only one glove on one hand. I have a ton of gloves. Very safe to use.
Interesting alternative - and I have a ton of that kind of glove .....

Back