WineXpert Stabilizing question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the numbers I have been reading lately are very conflicting as to the end result after additions of K-meta and I will be trying to sort this out. Some of the problem is lots of this info is free with no facts to back it up and like the old saying goes "you get what you pay for".

Masta, you are correct. I forgot to account for the two moles of SO2.

Don't worry, sally3, I don't take it personally. I spent over 20 years in industrial water treatment, where various sources of sulfite ion (sodium sulfite (Na2SO3) and sodium bisulfite (NaHSO3) primarily) are used to remove oxygen from water intended for use in industrial boilers. If the oxygen is not removed massive corrosion of boiler internals will occur, leading to tube failure and possible explosion - not a good thing.

Edited by: PeterZ

masta said:
Most likely it will be ok but ask them what the the amount of SO2 is in PPM at bottling with their kits then you can 30 to this number to get the total.

Well I finally got a response from Paklab to the question you suggested (What is the amount of S02 per PPM at bottling?) and this the is response:

We received answer from our laboratory regarding your inquiry:<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
For reference purpose the content of SO2 in the wines made with our wine kits are the following:
White wines: about 130 – 160 ppm
Red wines: about 150 – 200 ppm

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Maurizia Mariani
Director of operations
Paklab Products Inc.
www.paklabproducts.com
Seems to me that is more than enough ....JC

WOW !!!! I would say so and clearly bordering on waytoo much!
smiley3.gif

When I saw those numbers I thought the same thing. It does explain why this companyDOES NOTinstruct you to add additional meta k for aging their wines longer.

For sure with this product NO MORE Additional k-meta !!

Thank you Masta for your assistance, much appreciated, for without your imput I never would have known what to ask.
smiley14.gif
Edited by: jcnoren

What PPM range is appropriate if one is planning to age their kit wine for longer than a year?

You mentioned the levels for WE, mow you have got me wondering what other companys PPM is ie spagnols?

JC

JC,

I have been slacking and have not found out from Winexpert (Tim in particular) how they determine their sulfite numberssince they don't jive with everything I have read and been telling you folks in these discussions.We have said 1/4 tsp of K-meta added to 6 gals of wine adds 30 PPM of sulfite.

Here is a quote from Tim Vandergrift of Winexpert:

"At bottling, your wine will yield between 16 and 20 PPM FSO2. This is easily enough to hold the wine for one year, under nominal cellaring conditions--with superior cellar conditions, you're good for three years, easy.
The reason why we recommend adding the extra is that many folks have less-than-ideal storage conditions for their wine, but still want to age some of it for extended periods. Rather than just cranking up the amount in the kit itself, we allow for the option of adding an extra quarter-teaspoon (about 1.5 grams) which usually yields an extra 10 PPM FSO2 or so, which then allows for longer-term storage under even nominal conditions."

Some of the confusion on the numbers comes from when adding K-metato increase the sulfite levels there are things that determine how much of the total sulfite becomes bound and how much is free or available for the protection of the wine. This free sulfite is noted by the "F" in front of SO2 as in Tim's quote above...16-20 PPM FSO2.

I will make this a priority and report back ASAPsoI understand it and more importantly I am not providing incorrect information.

The best bet for kit wines is to follow the instructionsincluded in the kitsince as we know every manufacturer is different.I know RJ Spagnols did tell you in the past to add the extra 1/4 tsp of K-meta as Winexpert does for long term aging. After a quick look at their instructions I don't see that anymore. It is possible they increased the levels in the kits so it isn't needed so it is best to call or e-mail them to make sure.

RJ Spagnols:[email protected] 1-800-663-0954

Hope this helps and doesn't create more confusion!
smiley5.gif

thanks too much for the info and the link to spagnols.. i will use it right away......jc.

Masta,re: the new spagnol instructions (Bolero Ausi Shiraz). The advice to add extra sulphite is still in the new spagnol instructions. They have it in the bottling section, not in the stablization area as one would expect it to be.

I posted the question of S02 PPM for the spagnols kits and I will advise when they answer. Thanks again. JC

If somebody with an accurate scale can measure out 10 1/4 tsp doses (leveled) and tell me how much it weighs (in gr avdp., g, or oz), I will be happy to calculate exactly how much is added as both SO2 and SO3-2.

jcnoren said:
Masta,re: the new spagnol instructions (Bolero Ausi Shiraz). The advice to add extra sulphite is still in the new spagnol instructions. They have it in the bottling section, not in the stablization area as one would expect it to be.

I posted the question of S02 PPM for the spagnols kits and I will advise when they answer. Thanks again. JC

I just checked the instructions for my Cru Select RQ kit and it also has the 1/4 tsp addition in the bottling instructions.

PeterZ said:
If somebody with an accurate scale can measure out 10 1/4 tsp doses (leveled) and tell me how much it weighs (in gr avdp., g, or oz), I will be happy to calculate exactly how much is added as both SO2 and SO3-2.

I have an accurate scale but no 1/4 tsp so lets just say it weighs 1.5 grams.

Latest posts

Back