Stabilizer questions...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, so our plum and peach wines are both done fermenting.

My 1st question is: Do we add the potassium sorbate now, or do we wait until we've racked a couple more times so that the wine is clear? (...we keep reading conflicting tips...)

My 2nd questions is: We added the campden tablets to the primary fermenter (1 per gallon, so 5 for our 5 gallons of must)...Are we supposed to add more of these? ...do the campden tablets do the same as the k-meta? (I'm still confused on the k-meta and whether or not it is necessary as I have not seen it in any of the recipe's we've looked at, except for on these forums!)

My 3rd questions is: Should we do our f-packs now?

Thank you...in advance ;)

...I think I answered my own question regarding stabilization if doing F-pac...you have to stabilize before doing one ;) How long after adding stabilizers do you wait before doing the f-pac though?

campden tablets and k-meta are the same thing, one is in tablet form and the other is powder.

You can stabilize your wine when it is done fermenting, that is when I like to do mine, most people wait at least 3 days, I have, in the past, added sugar 24 hours after stabilizing.

Yes you need to add more sulfites when your wine is done fermenting as the sulfites added in primary were burned off during fermentation. I like to stabilize my wine when fermentation is done and sg has been stable for at least 3 days. You should add sorbate when there is a good level of S02 (sulfite) in your wine. I also like to sweeten my wine at this point and degas it so that the wine will start clearing immediately and properly. Sometimes sweetening later even if just using simple syrup can cloud up your nice clar win e resulting in needing time to clear all over again.

My 1st question is: Do we add the potassium sorbate now, or do we wait until we've racked a couple more times so that the wine is clear? (...we keep reading conflicting tips...)

My 2nd questions is: We added the campden tablets to the primary fermenter (1 per gallon, so 5 for our 5 gallons of must)...Are we supposed to add more of these? ...do the campden tablets do the same as the k-meta? (I'm still confused on the k-meta and whether or not it is necessary as I have not seen it in any of the recipe's we've looked at, except for on these forums!)

Uwhine,

Campden is sodium matabisulfite, just in case anyone is on a sodium restricted diet. Probably not a huge seal though.

Campden tablets can both sodium or potassium. In the US they are mostly potassium but in Canada Ive heard they are primarily sodium. The amount of sodium is really very very low but some state they can taste the difference o be careful if you have sensitive taste buds as you may be able to taste it in your wine.

Okay, so re-add Campden tabs after fermentation is complete and do this every racking, or every other?? (I've read conflicting answers regarding this...)

Also, do I add the potassium sorbate just once after fermentation, or do I also add that continuously throughout clearing (when I rack) like the Campden tabs?

Sorbate is added only once and sulfites are added about every 4 months but if you plan on aging 1 year or over I highly recommend the use of a sulfite tester to make sure yoyr not over or under estimating at this point.

What are your SG readings?

You've indicated that both of your wines are done fermenting. I assume that they are both in the primary fermenter now. SG now is important. Your SG whould be 1.000 or less. It you are at that range, I'd rack over to your secondary for a while. You may see what is called gross lees. This would be a significant amount of sediment that builds up in the bottom of the fermenter. At this time I would not be adding any more K-Meta or camden tables for a while. You may continue to see fermentation for a while. I also would not be adding any additional sugar source like an F-pack now. When the wine is in the secondary, and you build up significant gross lees, it's ok to rack again. At that point I'd let the wine sit for a month before racking again. The high alcohol content will do a good job of inhibiting any un wanted growth. The wine should clear with each racking. At this point you SG should be below 0.0998. Check your pH and TA. Make adjustments if needed. Note that high pH values will require more sulphite to be effective. At this point, say 2 or more months from now, you should add a small amount of K-Meta. You mentioned adding 1 campden table per gallon. An effective level of free sulfite is what you are looking for. Adding too much sulfite at this point will add a nasty taste. The best thing to do is test your sulfite levels. With my fruit wines, I've not tested yet, but I go sparingly on the k-meta. I also am not a big back sweetener, so others may be able to give you better advise. I am sure though that the k-meta should be added first. After a few days, add K-Sorb and wait a few days. At that point your yeast whould be inhibitied and not reproduce, even if additional sugar is added. This is the time you would add your f-pack.

This is my 2 cents.

Best of luck,
Paul

Latest posts

Back