Spring Has Sprung!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think [correct me if I'm wrong] that it is a House Finch...?

We had a flock of them here last week during our mini blizzard...

housefinchSmall.jpg

Think the Purple Finches look the same but have a crest on top of their heads....

A House Finch. They have a pretty chirp too. I was at my new house yesterday doing a walk through before close tomorrow and the yard is so big and it was so quite...could hear nothing but birds chirping instead of tires squeeling and sirens constantly which is all I have heard for the past 2 and a half years. Do you have hummers already, Waldo?

Ramona

smiley20.gif
A house finch it is! We have had them at the feeder for about 3 weeks! Poor things arrived way too early this year!!

OK Joan you got me, what is the MDA at the bottom of your posts stand for, Jerry's Kids? Seen a big flock of Turkey Vulchers circling over the river yesterday, they like to soar in the updrafts of the bluffs over looking the river.

rgecaprock said:
A House Finch. They have a pretty chirp too. I was at my new house yesterday doing a walk through before close tomorrow and the yard is so big and it was so quite...could hear nothing but birds chirping instead of tires squeeling and sirens constantly which is all I have heard for the past 2 and a half years. Do you have hummers already, Waldo?

Ramona

Thanks all
We have had a couple of hummer scouts ramona but have seen no more yet. Hopefully the warm weather has set in and they will come on in

Sorry Waldo...... I had no idea so was playing smartas...... smartdonkey! They are pretty. I don't think I have ever seen any of the males like that one.

I still want to see one of them muskiedine caught fish! Has the weather started to dry up yet?

Now that I've had a few moments to compare the House Finch and Purple Finch on Google Images....I am confused...and agree with Joan...Birds
should not be allowed to look so similar.

And here I was starting to lean toward the House Finch... you all seemed so sure!
smiley4.gif

Please don't ask me to identify a warbler!! I can't!

Took yesterday off to rest our old bones and went to Fargo for some spring farm shopping...taking a tiny leap into the 21st Century and looked for a GPS for the tractors...hoping for faster applications and straighter rows.

Today it was back out to our annual spring ritual of getting up some firewood. Yes the view is pretty from up on the ridge...believe we once had lake shore of the great Glacier Lake Agazzi....The basin lies to the North.

lSmall.jpg
rSmall.jpg

The USDA calls it HEL...Highly Erodible Land....Jim went out a few years ago and converted it into crop land and killed all the 'weeds'......

I called them wildflowers and the Monarch butterflies called it Heaven.....

2005-11-28_102940_Hamann_HillsSmall.jpg

Still takes my breathe away to look over the ridge and see the vastness of the prairie....

My inspiration...

XLABELHHWINE.jpg

Edited by: Northern Winos

Beautiful land there NW. What post card did you get that picture off from? So much land was taken out of production that the country isn't ready to produce the extra crops for fuel. The land is beautiful with either wildflowers or crops.

I just stepped outside for a minute and noticed that the Woodcocks are back and doing their little mating dance in my garden. It's pretty cool to watch, but they only do it for about 15 minutes a day, right after sundown. Another sign of spring!

Today's Agenda.....

Axe Man Vs Trees.....

Three large Red oaks have held a deer hunting stand known as "The Crippler's Stand' for many years....Time took the lives of the trees and a windstorm rendered 2 'widow-Makers' hanging in the trees...so today the hazard was removed.

DEADSmall-1.jpg
DONESmall-1.jpg

Axe Man 3....Trees 0

This will be our last day 'enjoying' the woods...yesterday I got Poison Ivy and today I got a wood tick and it was far too hot for this kind of work...

Tomorrow...machinery repair....and gardening for me.

Life is Good!!!!

Edited by: Northern Winos

Too warm????? Are you complaining about that already? My digital receivers registered 77.8 and 79.5 yesterday. Today was even warmer, but I was out toasting in the sun all day and didn't check them yet- had to hit at least 80 with brilliant sunshine rendering me a nice bright shade of red. I got home and doused myself with some good apple cider vinegar. We were tying vines all day and it was too hot for the flannel shirt! Edited by: appleman

Latest posts

Back