Spring Has Sprung!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jeeze it got cold here, again, PA. I think the geese are turning back south, I cant wait for warmth, I am sick of the cold!!

Spring is here and all these pictures tell me it is so. But then I look out the office window and see this:

20080331_061039_100_3749_Medium.jpg

Looks like we are getting the same "spring showers" you are Appleman, maybe by Friday it will turn to rain.
20080331_070354_100_0357_Small.jpg

We got snow here too on the west coast! Riding motorcycle in the snow is NOT fun
smiley7.gif

Weatherman is predicting 6 to 12" of heavy wet snow for us in N. Wis. Hasn't started yet so maybe we will luck out

It went through here earlierthis morning as a thunder storm hannabarn. Should get up your way later today. It was nice to see the rain instead of snow. We got a 1/2 inch of rain out of it so far. Things got washed off this morning. If the sun come out now things should green up pretty nicely. Neither the asparagus nor the rhubarb has stuck it head through yet. Must not quit be spring yet. Edited by: swillologist

It looks like the weatherman was right! Started snowing about 3 hrs ago and we are getting about an inch per hour!

I guess that's the only way I'll see flowers for awhile. It is still snowing here and has since noon!

The wide swings are starting to set in now - have hopes Barney and all. Snow yesterday 60+ today and then 37 tomorrow for high. Talk about mood swings!

swillologist said:
Neither the asparagus nor the rhubarb has stuck it head through yet. Must not quit be spring yet.

We let the asparagus ferns stand all winter to collect the snow...It works great.

Then...this time of the year we sprinkle wood ashes over the area....The dark ashes attract the heat of the sun and melts the snow quickly...resulting in earlier asparagus.

rgecaprock said:
Did anyone listen to the peepers in my post?

Ramona

I listened to them, but somehow it didn't seem to be real when you can hear them and look out the window and all you see is snow! It was a little more believable with your eyes closed. Maybe I could play it in the bedroom on a continuos loop at night so it sounds like a springs morning with the windows open!
smiley4.gif

rgecaprock said:
Did anyone listen to the peepers in my post?

Ramona

Yes...I listened to your Spring Peepers and sent it on to a friend who lives on a lake....Sometimes when you go to her place they are so loud you have to almost shout to each other to be heard. She enjoyed listening to them OnLine too.

Thanks!!!!
smiley4.gif

Beautiful day today...even the cat wanted out.

Heard Sand Cranes, Mourning Doves and a Kildere....So spring is surely on it's way now.

Did a walk around the yard where I could get to....The High Bush Cranberries are still out there...Guess the Robins might eat them soon.

berrySmall.jpg

Thought I should do something constructive...so pruned some rose bushes...

BEFORE......................................AFTER

smallSmall.jpg
smallcleanSmall.jpg

BEFORE...............................AFTER

bignastySmall.jpg
bigcleanSmall.jpg

Found a small nest from last years tenants....

nestSmall.jpg

That's one nasty job done for the season...I have thorns in my fingers, got swatted in the face by a honery cane which tore my lip....Got sunburned and I am tired but enthused... More to do tomorrow...then maybe can even get to the grapes...

Going to have a large glass of wine and lick my wounds.

I am glad that thorns have roses.

Edited by: Northern Winos

Latest posts

Back